May 06, 2024, 01:42:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

77 ironhead Stroked

Started by RayRay12, May 14, 2013, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayRay12

So i picked up this bike! A 1977 Iron head sportster,. It's been sitting for over a year an a half.I went though Everything!Points, condenser,plugs! New starter!Fixed the Kicker! Last thing i do is change the oil! When going to pump out the rest that is in the cases?? I see nothing coming out!! Oil pump isn't working! Maybe that's why it's been sitting for so long! And why it heats up so quick! That's just my luck too! What could go wrong Does! After I put a oil pump in there's nothing left!
Oh Well! Keeps me outta trouble! hahahahaha
Run your fingers over my bike, I run my Bike over you!

Hillside Motorcycle

Hope that lack of oil flow didn't harm it.
That could be costly.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

garyajaz

nothing mentioned of starting and running it
(GOOD)
hope no previous damage done.
after pump replacement loosen or take off a head oiler line and kick till oil present.
(both spark plugs out.).
  take off oil pressure sender at pump to make sure oil is present.
then when started listen for noises.  also remove oil tank cap and with light or finger make sure oil is returning.
dont for get to change the tranny oil.
let us know what happens.
good luck.

oops , just re read your post.
heats up quick.  well it is a ironhead. and they heat.
but that means you  ran it....
did you drain the sump? lots of times chck ball in oil pump leaks when sitting and all the oil goes into crankcase/flywheel area.

RayRay12

I'm going to take the oil pump out today! I Think the pins may be Sheared? If they are I'll replace those put all back an see what happens! Keepin my fingers crossed!
No wonder why ya don't see many ole ironheads any more! Too many things go wrong with them! After I fix the oil pump there isn't anything left to go wrong! Maybe i shouldn't say that just yet!! lol
Wish me luck and i'll let ya'all know how it turns out!

Hillside Motorcycle

They'll give ok service, even stroked, but you need to keep a close eye/ear on things. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

RayRay12

Took it all apart an like I figured, the pins are sheared! Ground down two pins to fit!! Going to put it back together this afternoon! Should be good ta go!!
I'll get back later!

RayRay12

Note to self, Check check valve! $75. dealer only part!