April 27, 2024, 10:23:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Is there a tool for this?

Started by RoadGlideRob, February 16, 2009, 05:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadGlideRob

I'm trying to remove a splined shaft from the left side of the engine. It's on the crank and wont budge.  It looks like the front sprocket slides over it. 

Does anyone know if Jims makes a tool to remove this?

Thanks.

MBSKEAM

loosen the nut a few turn on the sprocket shaft, dont take off.
then use a press to pop the shaft out, support the wheel right at the boss where the shaft sits, it will let go with a pop.

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

RoadGlideRob

forgive my stupidity, but what do you mean by a Press?  :wtf: The only press i'm familiar with is what you would use to press in a bearing and i dont see how i could use that for this.

HarleyCharley

Are you talking about removing the shaft extension (part of the compensating sprocket) form the crankshaft?

charley

76shuvlinoff

On that splined extension.   Tap it firmly in different directions with a dead blow hammer (up down right left), Don't wail on it. Usually this will loosen it and it will slide off,  Maybe a little heat would help Mapp or propane, whatever, just don't need to turn it red.

Good  luck
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

RoadGlideRob

Charley,
Yes it is the extension.

I've done that several times and heated it and soaked it in PB.  Damn thing has been on there since the engine was built in 72 I think and is not budging.

pappyfreebird

ifn its a rust er gummy stuck then kroil oil is the best thing made fer it...ifn shes stuck on there from force i think patience n tappin n fuggin wid it is bout ony way...know a dude got so pissed at his when finally removed it he drilled n tapped two 1/4 -20 threads each side n said next time ill run bolts in there n use a puller...(which ain a bad idear)  but nevo had one couldnt pop off,,but ain did hunerts either

RoadGlideRob

Well I finally got it.  You all were right, a little heat, a little tap, and lot of patience. 

Thanks

76shuvlinoff

glad you didn't have to go ape on it.   :up:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

yeup ain it a great feelin when ya finnaly git it...i aways think so