May 07, 2024, 04:26:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My new project

Started by Sonny S., May 19, 2013, 06:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny S.

May 19, 2013, 06:40:18 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:32:23 AM by Sonny S.
Friday I picked up a non running 84 for $1,500. Bike has several nice parts on it an I could tell that at one time this was someone's baby. Guy said the bike ran fine, he parked it a year ago and now it won't start...yeah yeah yeah. It didn't have a battery in it and he said even with a battery it does nothing. I pulled the plugs, put it in gear and pushed it while I held my finger over the plug holes. It puffed air, plugs looked good so I figured..what the heck I'll go for it.

Yesterday I bought a new battery, cranked it over and it backfired a few times. OK, got spark just prolly not at the right time. I pulled the timing cover and found a heap of metal dust. Pulled the Dyna S ignition plate and saw that the mechanical advance unit was shot !! Well that explained the blue pipes.
I just happened to have an advance unit on the shelf. Was missing springs though. I hate it when I rob parts and forget to replace them  :emsad:
Anyway, used the springs from the old unit rigging the broken spring and....she fired right up...Sahweeeet !!!

It's got a few issues so I still have a list but at least it runs.
I could use a shift arm, rear brake line and a rear master cylinder top.
Gonna need pipes too.
lot of the hoses need replaced.....it's all good  :teeth:

mayor

that bike looks fairly clean.  congrats.   :up:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

RayRay12

Quote from: Sonny S. on May 19, 2013, 06:40:18 PM
Friday I picked up a non running 84. Bike has several nice parts on it an I could tell that at one time this was someone's baby. Guy said the bike ran fine, he parked it a year ago and now it won't start...yeah yeah yeah. It didn't have a battery in it and he said even with a battery it does nothing. I pulled the plugs, put it in gear and pushed it while I held my finger over the plug holes. It puffed air, plugs looked good so I figured..what the heck I'll go for it.

Yesterday I bought a new battery, cranked it over and it backfired a few times. OK, got spark just prolly not at the right time. I pulled the timing cover and found a heap of metal dust. Pulled the Dyna S ignition plate and saw that the mechanical advance unit was shot !! Well that explained the blue pipes.
I just happened to have an advance unit on the shelf. Was missing springs though. I hate it when I rob parts and forget to replace them  :emsad:
Anyway, used the springs from the old unit rigging the broken spring and....she fired right up...Sahweeeet !!!

Gonna need pipes too.
Nice find!! Looks Great!
Run your fingers over my bike, I run my Bike over you!

Sonny S.

Thanks Ray.

Here is the 72 I used to have. I must like em red..lol

Sonny S.

I know nothing about the inside of this engine. Cams, bore..etc.
It's got a Super E on it. Any recommendations on jetting as if it were basically stock/mild.
Just want to make sure It's close now.
I'm going to do a compression test tomorrow night.

Blackbaggr

:up: Nice find and the price is right !  :pop:

RayRay12

Quote from: Sonny S. on May 19, 2013, 06:40:18 PM
Friday I picked up a non running 84 for $1,500. Bike has several nice parts on it an I could tell that at one time this was someone's baby. Guy said the bike ran fine, he parked it a year ago and now it won't start...yeah yeah yeah. It didn't have a battery in it and he said even with a battery it does nothing. I pulled the plugs, put it in gear and pushed it while I held my finger over the plug holes. It puffed air, plugs looked good so I figured..what the heck I'll go for it.

Gonna need pipes too.
Sweet Deal!!
Run your fingers over my bike, I run my Bike over you!

garyajaz

you got a good price cause the seller could not get it running past initial timing.
good for you.  pretty bike.
also expect some blueing unless pig rich.  it happens.
but that much showing a problem that you found.
enjoy.
\
also like its stock looking.  hard to find a iron not all chopped up
straight pipes were the thing back then.
but some good cycle shack or other type muffler will get you fewer ticketts and actually more power.

keep the ol iron running i say. :koolaid:

saltcaveminer

nice find.good luck!Salty