May 02, 2024, 05:38:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need some advice / help with timing

Started by 07heri, May 21, 2013, 04:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

07heri

May 21, 2013, 04:26:04 PM Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:48:44 PM by 07heri
I started working timing on a bike.  For the most part I've been increasing timing in just 2000 - 4000 to start out.  I'm getting more knock events in the front and have to really force the rear to ping.  The rear has, in some areas, up to 9 degrees difference, more than the front. 

1)  Is it common/uncommon/weird for the rear cylinder to tolerate so much more timing than the front.  what do you guys feel is a reasonable spread or what have you seen after tuning the timing tables?

2)  Would you just leave the spread and drop both down 3 or 4 degrees....or drop the front 3 or 4 degrees and then drop the rear more than 3 or 4 to get in line with the front?

I'm sure neither will ping, and be safe, after taking out 3 degrees, just not sure about leaving the spread in the cells that have 7, 8, 9 degrees difference between the front and rear.  I'm thinking it may make for a smoother ride if the tables are somewhat close, but just guessing.

The VE's are all within 2 or 3% change on the last 3 runs so I'm pretty comfortable with them at this point.  This is a 96" ST, AN Big Sucker, Cycle Shacks, and 255's.  Went through the intake and exhaust, replacing all seals, and copper RTV on the exhaust joints so also comfortable it's not leaking.

The numbers in red is where pinging stopped.  Black didn't see any knock events, yet.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

strokerjlk

That's a boat load of timing .
The front looks more realistic than the rear .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

07heri

Well I agree with you.  This is using a PV, which I don't really trust.  After helping  2 or 3 people with their bikes I think TTS is a better unit.  I know a bunch of folks love the PV but I don't think it gives the user flexibility that TTS does.  PV just seems to have a bunch going on in the background, unexplained, and takes away some of the user end settings.  Needless to say, not impressed with what PV has to offer.  Seems like an offshoot of the PC which I never really liked.

Off to the dyno with this one.
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

strokerjlk

Quote from: 07heri on May 23, 2013, 05:26:20 PM
Well I agree with you.  This is using a PV, which I don't really trust.  After helping  2 or 3 people with their bikes I think TTS is a better unit.  I know a bunch of folks love the PV but I don't think it gives the user flexibility that TTS does.  PV just seems to have a bunch going on in the background, unexplained, and takes away some of the user end settings.  Needless to say, not impressed with what PV has to offer.  Seems like an offshoot of the PC which I never really liked.

Off to the dyno with this one.
Posted by: 07heri
The VE's are all within 2 or 3% change on the last 3 runs so I'm pretty
comfortable with them at this point.  This is a 96" ST, AN Big Sucker,
Cycle Shacks, and 255's
your fuel is within  2 -3 % change . and you don't have any ping, even though you have jacked the timing through the roof .
and your not happy ?  :scratch:

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory