May 08, 2024, 06:44:19 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Suspension Front and Rear 2002 Electraglide

Started by vtwinjim, May 31, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtwinjim

82k miles on bike.  Front end seems very soft now and I've replaced oil in rear shocks with both 5wt and 10wt and not happy.  I ride pretty hard and cruise at 80mph when I can.

I need to replace rear shocks and need to at least change oil in front.  My experience tells me I should also change the bushings in the front and maybe get rid of the cartridge.  I was going to go with 412's if I just repaired the front.

Are there better front end options for internals, cartridges, valves, new springs, etc. that aren't overly complicated or pricy?  And is there any big advantage to matching rear shocks with whatever I do to the front.  Back in my dirt bike days, suspension was critical whereas the bagger seems to roll with whatever.

I know this is a wide open question but I'm hoping for some simple basic proven hardware/combinations.

Thanks,

04 SE Deuce

Race tech spring(1.0kg/mm., depends on rider wt.) and emulator kit is simple enough a caveman can do it and stone reliable.

Hard to beat Ohlins shocks.  The rule of "you get what you pay for" applies most of the time on shocks.   

Your concern about balancing frt/rear is solid logic,  but these big bikes respond well to improvement on either end individually.

2002 is a good year,  invest in the suspension,  makes for a more enjoyable bike anytime it is in motion.   Rick

tmwmoose

I put the 06 and up fork guts on my 2002 standard and its stiff I think I like the original setup put I haven't got many miles on it yet so it may need to settle in a bit. I never had a problem with the cartridge set up I tend to fix things that aren't broke :crook:. Also last year I went with the Ohlins to see what the fuss was all about played with them quite a bit and  talked with Howard a lot still not happy with them to stiff or something but! when packed down and the wife on as well wow!! what a ride never bottomed real smooth couldn't believe the ride and I should say I 'm Fl with smooth roads I just can't get the same ride solo and Ive tried but missing it .I plan to put the stock shocks on for a spell and renew the comparison they may go on the auction block

flhtruss

Try Motorcycle Metal . Talk w/ Howard. You can find lots of info on the HDFORUMS site. members get discount. Put ohlins on my 05 flht very nice do not have problem recomending this man or his company.
Russ

Rags722

I just did the Progressive Suspension Gas cartridge on the front of my 05 FLHTC and knew by the time I shifted into second that this was the suspension that should have come on the bike.  About $230 ~ $245 on-line ( $340 direct from PS), and comes with a lifetime warranty.  When installing, you only use 5 oz of oil to splash the rod and spring.  That oil never needs to be replaced again as it is NOT part of the suspension. 

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/monotube/index.html  You will have to look real hard to find any one that has put them on and been dissatisfied.

Can't help you on the 412's.  I did put on the 444's and am very satisfied with them.

04 SE Deuce

Progressive started using a plastic sleeve between the rod and spring when shipping the cartridge kits prior to install.  They felt that the spring was wearing the rod enough during shipment to cause the seal to fail,  along with the first/original seal having a problem.

One of the main reasons to change fork oil is particles/contamination from the springs rubbing the inside of the tube etc.  I could be wrong but it appears that there may be some rubbing between the rod and spring on the cartridge set-ups,  with aluminum wear from the rod most likely.  I would still change the oil at maybe twice the interval...gives you a chance to manually inspect and check both cartridges for feel/charge.  If you find a problem exercise the lifetime warranty and go again.   Rick

klammer76

I did the Progressive Mono tubes this winter on my 02 FLH, really like them. I used the included shims and the ride is fine for me, also used 20wt  fork oil after reading posts here and talking to Progressive, no problems. I got mine from Calif. Phil :up: Next is a set of Ohlins, want to try a set up that I think forum Member Blk-Betty has.

Klammer