May 09, 2024, 12:49:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2006 street glide vibration in rpms

Started by 1cruzr, June 03, 2013, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1cruzr

ride is a stock tc88  2006streetglide  i have power commander 5 on it  i have a vibration between 1200/1800 rpm  all other areas in rpm ranges are smooth replaced front engine mount  ,checked fairing mount brackets all good.  my question is can i richen  my map up in this rpm range to smooth it up a bit . bike is smooth an runs good in all other areas. windshied  mirrows  handle bars shaking sitting still  are under a load , between 1200/1800 rpms pretty annoying  :fish:

1cruzr

This most be a hard one. Could use a little help.   Any body chime in what do you tuners think is wrong

Sonny S.

1200/1800 rpm's ?

Is this only while you are letting the clutch out or are you attempting to ride in that rpm range ?
Maybe at fast idle ?

1cruzr

With clutch in an out. Sitting still or moving in this rpm range .in gear or out of gear

Sonny S.

Try different torque settings on the front mount bolt ?
Harley mount ?
Pipes tight ? Hitting anything ?

1cruzr

Breeze

1cruzr; This IS a tough one, because one person's vibration on a Street Glide, is another person's normal.  I got thrown off by the "handlebars shaking sitting still" part. My eyeballs are shakin sitting still and I consider that normal.  Just sayin' that may be why you aren't getting more opinions.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

1cruzr

i can under stand that   i rode a softtail  for 15yrs all camed up with the goodies .i just think this vibration between 1200/1800 may not be normal . thers is just a little something there :scratch:

Sonny S.

Quote from: 1cruzr on June 04, 2013, 04:37:06 AM
you think tighter or loser ?

Did you torque to spec ?
Try tighter.
Then looser  :wink:
Check upper engine mounting bolts. At the heads and frame.

Not much really going on at 1200/1800 rpm's other than cold idle.
For one... Don't ride there. Two, don't hold rpm's there in " N ". See, problem solved  :teeth:

1cruzr

i ride two up all time  rideing country roads seems like 5th gear 45to 50  bike will run in this rpm range comfortibale with out down shifting .  the bike is not luggin this is were you feel vibs at 1800  thanks for all the input  sonny  if you think of any thing else let me know  going to do some more checking arounr the frame an mounts

FLTRI

Quote from: 1cruzr on June 04, 2013, 08:54:39 AM
i ride two up all time  rideing country roads seems like 5th gear 45to 50  bike will run in this rpm range comfortibale with out down shifting .  the bike is not luggin this is were you feel vibs at 1800  thanks for all the input  sonny  if you think of any thing else let me know  going to do some more checking arounr the frame an mounts
When did this specific condition start? After any changes to the bike? Exh, mounts, handlebars, foot pegs/boards, or fuel change (seasonal changes affect AFR on open loop bike).
Have you had the bike tuned?
It could be a rich OR lean spot right there?
Could be a timing issue?
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

1cruzr

FLTRI:  TRADED FOR BIKE ABOUT A YEAR AGO . noticed the vibaration then  its a stock tc88  only thing i added was a fuel motto performance package  big sucker air cleaner  power commander 5    an jackpot 4 in. exhaust . fuel motto said i might could richen map up a little in that area 1200/1800 might help   so i did   alittle  with no .  this vib  is also only with throttle about 10% to 15% open .between 1200/1800 .  every were else  is smooth . thanks for  inguiring  :nix:

FLTRI

OK, so the vibration was there when the bike was stock.
Remove the cam plate and check flywheel runout.
Most of the time that's what the vib is if not tuning and changes help.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Blackbaggr

Could be a really dumb question but I noticed that you are comparing your old SOFTtail with a FLH bike...is it/ or could it be something as simple as comparing apples to oranges ? By that I mean comparing a rubber mounted engine to one that is not ?  :pop:

1cruzr

No not a dumb question. Just seemed a little unusual vibs at those rpms an no were else in all other rpms ma be internal .thankless

Blackbaggr

Quote from: 1cruzr on June 04, 2013, 02:16:33 PM
No not a dumb question. Just seemed a little unusual vibs at those rpms an no were else in all other rpms ma be internal .thankless

Cool....glad you didnt take it wrong. I just figured if your new to the rubber mount line maybe you didn't realize the extent to which they bounce around in the frame at idle, etc. It smooths out the more you gooooooo.  :smiled:

Hope that's all it is and not an internal issue for your sake.  :up:

wolf_59

I had good luck by increasing the timing in that range to take care of the issue on my 06 Ultra after 1500 rpm runs smoother than my 04 Fatboy, couldn't get it all out but way better than it was. Big difference in the 2 motors A style vibrate at idle and low rpm but smooth every where else  and B style motor smooth at idle thru mid-range but gets buzzy at higher rpm. Took a little getting use to but still don't like the buzz in the B motor

1cruzr

Wolf 69:   how much increase in this area you think 2.3.4. May be more?

1cruzr

Shaking way more at 1200 to 1800 than at idle  idle is fine.

wolf_59

I would try increasing or decreasing it by 3* and try if it gets worse go the other way