May 08, 2024, 01:00:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Green light in speedo?

Started by W.Wilberforce, June 12, 2013, 04:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.Wilberforce

Hi, I need some help to check what the green light just below the 0 Kms on my speedo is on my 05 FXSTD/I Deuce.

The light comes on intermittently and goes out so quick I can't see what it is nor can I find anything in the workshop manual to say what it is.

The main reason for asking on here is although I'm in Australia I imported my bike from the US which means here it's a "grey import" and no dealer will give you any help as they missed out on their cut ($).

I have just gone from a 88" to a 95" along with a cam change 37N, all has gone well and the bike runs great, tuned up with a TTS.

As nothing seems out of place, it runs well and sounds really good so I'm not to concerned. Besides I doubt if a warning light would be green (just my luck if it were :scratch:)

Any idea's?

Rags722

Any chance it's your neutral indicator?  Just a shot in the dark as I don't know a thing about the FX instrumentation.

Ohio HD

Isn't that the "Go" light that comes on when you increase the horsepower?

Just kiddin....      :teeth:   

Probably your neutral light coming on for some reason, flaky switch or something. Put it in neutral, is it about where you see the green light flash?

ScottFree

Could even be that the wire's fallen off the neutral switch and the connector's intermittently touching something metal (the neutral indicator switch is a grounding switch, so the light will come on whenever there's a path from the wire to ground).

FSG

QuoteHi, I need some help to check what the green light just below the 0 Kms on my speedo is on my 05 FXSTD/I Deuce.

All Softails including the Deuce have the Green Neutral Indicator external to the Speedo.

The OP has posted the green light just below the 0 Kms on my speedo.  Well folks amongst other things a bike imported into Oz must have a Speedo in KPH to be ADR Compliant, so this bike has had the Speedo changed. 

I'd bet it has an International KPH Speedo from a later year Deuce fitted and what he is seeing is the 6th Gear Indicator flash.

Ohio HD

Quote from: FSG on June 12, 2013, 11:37:20 AM
QuoteHi, I need some help to check what the green light just below the 0 Kms on my speedo is on my 05 FXSTD/I Deuce.

All Softails including the Deuce have the Green Neutral Indicator external to the Speedo.

The OP has posted the green light just below the 0 Kms on my speedo.  Well folks amongst other things a bike imported into Oz must have a Speedo in KPH to be ADR Compliant, so this bike has had the Speedo changed. 

I'd bet it has an International KPH Speedo from a later year Deuce fitted and what he is seeing is the 6th Gear Indicator flash.

That makes the most sense, you can hardly see where the sixth gear light is when it's off.

Good thinkin FSG!    :up:

FSG

Quoteyou can hardly see where the sixth gear light is when it's off.

that's for sure

W.Wilberforce

Thanks everyone, FSG that's exactly where it is but no idea why it shows up as unfortunately I have no 6th gear although it's on the list.

I'll double check nothing is loose or a wire pinched, thanks for the help.

harleyjt

:scratch:

Ok.  Kinda makes sense, but would the 05 ECU have the circuitry to turn it on?  I know my 08 and 12 will both flash the light when the rpm and speed hits the right window.  Seen it a number of times.  Maybe the ECU was changed out to a 2006 box as well?
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: harleyjt on June 12, 2013, 02:18:35 PM
:scratch:

Ok.  Kinda makes sense, but would the 05 ECU have the circuitry to turn it on?  I know my 08 and 12 will both flash the light when the rpm and speed hits the right window.  Seen it a number of times.  Maybe the ECU was changed out to a 2006 box as well?
jt

Not a Ecm guy but the unit was re-flashed with TTS.. I would imagine it's a more generic control of the ECM and has all the latest features like a 6th speed indicator.. The speedo picks up info off the serial bus so no extra wires are needed. It wouldn't surprise me if it is possible to program the right numbers and create a 5th gear indicator.. Unfortunately it will still say "6".

Max

W.Wilberforce

It's defiantly the 6th gear indicator that's flashing up occasionally as I was able to focus on it today. It's not happened in 5th so far only in the low gears, no problem though I'll work it out.

Out of interest what does the arrow sign below the 6 indicate?

FSG

Quotewhat does the arrow sign below the 6 indicate?

Cruise Mode