satisfying the need for posts... Tranny Tops

Started by Little Al, February 18, 2009, 09:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Al

So in the post "sure is slow" I got into my tranny top (handshift) and I'm left with this last problem on it:

The set-screw to hold the drum shaft, any idea on size? I have an good old fashioned hardware store by me, has everything! but no go on a set screw for that. In desperation I may try to find a screw/bolt that threads in, taper the bottom into a "pin" that will ride clean in the shaft groove allowing free turning but prevent slipping out of the shaft (the original intention of it) and then cut off the head and cut a slot for a screwdriver. with some locktight and just below the surface i should be good right? It's not like it could fall out.
Little Al

moose

Al

try antique cycle supply, Lonnie might have one
if not try nick's cycle salvage

moose aka glenn
Moose aka Glenn-

Little Al

Glen, I'm not nearly that patient, lol

I haven't put the top on the tranny yet, it still has the ratchet top on it sitting on my kitchen floor. I'll try them and see if I can get the correct one but in the meantime last night I got something to work, it still would be better with the right one of course, but...

I found a screw in my coffee cans of screws, nuts, bolts & washers (yep, I never throw any out) and worked about 30 minutes with a dremmel to form a nice round "pin" on the bottom, rides in the shaft groove real nice. Threaded it in until it touched the bottom of the rod groove then cut it off flush with the tranny top. backed it out, cut it back another 1/8 inch and cut a slot for a screwdriver. Locktight and threaded in just below the surface and everything seems good!

another 2 minute task completed in just one hour, LOL
Little Al