May 09, 2024, 06:52:33 AM

News:

1990 XL Failed lifter

Started by acoolmf, June 22, 2013, 07:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acoolmf

I have a 1990 XL 1200. The front exhaust lifter failed. The bearings gave out and also scored up the exhaust cam. Besides the obvious of going through the motor and oil pump for damage and metal, can I get away with only replacing the exhaust cam and lifter or do I need to replace all the cams and lifters

PC_Hater

I don't see why you can't just replace the exhaust cam.
One lifter has failed after 23 years. I would replace all 4 lifters, who knows when the next one will fail?
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

acoolmf

You have a point about the lifters. Thanks

FSG

Quote from: PC_Hater on June 23, 2013, 12:40:15 AM
I don't see why you can't just replace the exhaust cam.
One lifter has failed after 23 years. I would replace all 4 lifters, who knows when the next one will fail?
:agree:   the hard part will be getting just the one cam

Ohio HD

Time for a set of Andrews V2 cams. And of course new lifters.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillside Motorcycle

If the cyls are bugged up, and need a piston, install a set of 10.5's, with a set of Andrews 8 cams.
You'll impress yourself with that move. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

andyxlh

July 08, 2013, 02:24:40 PM #6 Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:27:18 PM by andyxlh
Hey, I had his happen at about 80000 miles. Definitely replace all the lifters. I did the v2 cams as well which are good for a bolt in. Beware replacing one cam only as they are sized look for the color code on the cam itself. If you find a new one with the same color you should be ok, if not you risk having the cams teeth running too tight.
If you have a high mileage you might want to change out the cambearings also. Check the bushings in the cover for wear too.
Of course, gothro the oil pump carefully and count the lifter pins to make sure you have them all if they came loose.
The lifters for your bike come in several types you want the b revision which has a bigger end to hold in the lifter pins if the end bearing fails. Your lifters are the same as the evo bt lifters unlike the later sporties.
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble