May 02, 2024, 01:29:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Kickstand spring

Started by hardonthemerch, February 19, 2009, 07:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardonthemerch

I've looked through every book I have, and I can't find a damn kickstand spring to fit my lil project. - The controls are what looks like the midwest knock-off's and the kickstand looks like a stock sftl style. - However, the shortest spring I can come up with... isn't short enough. - I've been to the bins in home depot with no luck.

anyone run into this while building/tinkering.

elvislee

February 19, 2009, 02:20:24 PM #1 Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:45:38 PM by elvislee
Quote from: hardonthemerch on February 19, 2009, 07:22:39 AM
I've looked through every book I have, and I can't find a damn kickstand spring to fit my lil project. - The controls are what looks like the midwest knock-off's and the kickstand looks like a stock sftl style. - However, the shortest spring I can come up with... isn't short enough. - I've been to the bins in home depot with no luck.

How short of one are ya looking for? Let us know and I and maybe some others will keep their eyes peeled for ya. I just bought one (Stock) for my 2000 Fxr4 from HD PN: 50005-85A, 3" long  but can be watching for ya...About 4 bucks and change  :up:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

fxr4mikey

Quote from: elvislee on February 19, 2009, 02:20:24 PM

How short of one are ya looking for? Let us know and I and maybe some others will keep their eyes peeled for ya. I just bought one (Stock) for my 2000 Fxr4 from HD PN: 50005-85A, 3" long  but can be watching for ya...About 4 bucks and change  :up:

Ok Blaine .... why did you have to buy a new spring ?   How did you install it ?

Mine came off one time .... somehow, HTF does that happen .... it came un-hooked on the frame side.  I was at home, I tried to put it on but there was no way I could pull that spring .. I didn't have a jack at that time .... so I got something, stood over the bike, picked up the stand, tied it up, drove to the steeler, stopped outside the service door and blew the horn..... they put it back on.  Then they also BENT the hook over the end so that it couldn't come off, ever, again .... WHEW  ..........  I would hate for that to happen out on the open road OMG!!
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb

elvislee

Quote from: fxr4mikey on February 19, 2009, 07:45:43 PM
Quote from: elvislee on February 19, 2009, 02:20:24 PM

Ok Blaine .... why did you have to buy a new spring ?   How did you install it ?

Mine came off one time .... somehow, HTF does that happen .... it came un-hooked on the frame side.  I was at home, I tried to put it on but there was no way I could pull that spring .. I didn't have a jack at that time .... so I got something, stood over the bike, picked up the stand, tied it up, drove to the steeler, stopped outside the service door and blew the horn..... they put it back on.  Then they also BENT the hook over the end so that it couldn't come off, ever, again .... WHEW  ..........  I would hate for that to happen out on the open road OMG!!

I haven't installed it yet Mikey. From what your tellin me I don't know if I want to try. Seriously though; now that I got a jack; I'm gonna get out there and see what I can do with it prolly Saturday...So I'll let ya know....I bought mine because the one on now is really weak and my kickstand is hanging down a bit off the frame when I ride. If I really drop it in a curve or turn to the left; the stand will drag a bit till I straighten up. So I figured I better replace it pretty soon...I'll let ya know how it gets replaced  :up:

92flhtcu

I drove over a curb on the way out of a gravel parking lot one time way up in the middle of nowhere in northern WI, probably the only curb within 50 miles of where i was and never thought there would be one at this location(duh...)broke the spring when it bottomed out, thankfully i have a center stand! I zip tied the sidestand up and replaced spring when i got home, have to unbolt the kickstand mount to install, then bolt back up, real easy, took all of a few minutes
Rob
Need a bigger garage

fxr4mikey

Quote from: 92flhtcu on February 20, 2009, 03:06:20 AM
I drove over a curb on the way out of a gravel parking lot one time way up in the middle of nowhere in northern WI, probably the only curb within 50 miles of where i was and never thought there would be one at this location(duh...)broke the spring when it bottomed out, thankfully i have a center stand! I zip tied the sidestand up and replaced spring when i got home, have to unbolt the kickstand mount to install, then bolt back up, real easy, took all of a few minutes
Rob

I'm gonna go look at my bike ... it's the same as Blaine's bike, FXR4,  I seem to recall that the kickstand mount is welded to the frame.... I'll be back with confirmation
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods

elvislee

Quote from: fxr4mikey on February 20, 2009, 06:39:34 AM
Rob

I'm gonna go look at my bike ... it's the same as Blaine's bike, FXR4,  I seem to recall that the kickstand mount is welded to the frame.... I'll be back with confirmation

I agree...at least 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 %  :up:

But could be wrong  :up:

fxr4mikey

Quote from: fxr4mikey on February 20, 2009, 06:39:34 AM
Rob

I'm back ...

Yup, the kickstand, AND, the mount for the spring attachment are both welded to the frame on my bike.

Furtermore, I see the pin that the kickstand pivots on going through the kickstand .... I see no way to remove the kickstand without removing the primary   ..... Maybe someone else knows how to do that ... but I don't see it from looking at my bike (2000 FXR4).
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods

takwolf

Put the kickstand up, lean the bike over on something under the right footpeg, and put the spring on. It's easier that way.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

BKACHE

Measure the distance between the 2 anchor points.
Go to a hardware store and buy that spring and one one size smaller.
The ones at an ACE will cost you $2 vs the $10 HD one.
Dan

tinkerman

Hey merch,

Could you reposition the pins that the spring hooks into to use some of the spring lengths you have found?

Just something to consider.....I know it would be easier to have the correct spring length and if you have the time you can keep looking for one, if not.......

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

92flhtcu

Did not know the mounts were welded on the FXR, I have a FL, sorry about that
Rob
Need a bigger garage

nibroc

Quote from: takwolf on February 20, 2009, 07:02:57 AM
Put the kickstand up, lean the bike over on something under the right footpeg, and put the spring on. It's easier that way.
yup--that's the way to do it     :embarrassed:

hardonthemerch

Hey guys,

I was dikin around in garage yesterday and though my spring looks just like the one in the pic in post 2 or 3, my mounting point for the frame end is a lil hole made in the forward control bracket. - Anyway, I positioned an allen bolt through the hole and anchored the spring into the head of the allen bolt. Not sure if it'll work, but its holding it up well for now. Need to see how it's going to hold up running down the road though.