May 01, 2024, 07:55:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Do my new Ultima 4" bore cases use standard lifter blocks

Started by gryphon, February 19, 2009, 01:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

On my S&S 4" bore motor they use a set of lifter blocks that have a slightly different angle to compenstate for the 4" bore. However on the Ultima cases I just got the cases are machined behind the lifter blocks. I'm thinking this is to allow the lifter blocks to sit in closer and align properly with the heads. Did Ultima do this in lieu ow making a proprietary set of lifter blocks?
Does anyone here know for sure?

wfolarry

Measure the pinion shaft. If it's longer than stock then your lifter blocks are offset as well. I don't have a lot of experience with the Ultima stuff but John Sachs could probably help you. If he doesn't see this try a PM.

gryphon

Well yes I suppose you're right. Regardless of the machining on the case, since the cam case is offset 1/4" then so is the cam and the lifter blocks would have to be also or they wouldn't align properly to the cam. If that's the case then I can use the lifter blocks from my S&S motor. If anyone knows any different then please chime in. Ultima is not very consumer friendly and you can't call and talk to anyone about them.

jsachs1

On 100" and larger Ultima engines,you NEED to use different than stock lifter blocks.
Also,when using small base circle cams,be sure there's NO interference between the rear intake ROLLER and the back of the thrust area of the cam when the lifter is on the heel of the cam.
You should NOT have a problem reaching anyone at Ultima. :up:
John

gryphon

"You should NOT have a problem reaching anyone at Ultima".
    Cool, do you have a number for them. I've never been able to find one that wasn't for dealers only.

Reddog74usa

Ultima engines (314)773-3064  Leave a message and they will call ya back.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

gryphon

I'll give that number a try. Looking thru their site there is no listing for a lifter block number seperate from that used for their standard bore replacements. Although it does make sense that I would need to use blocks with a slightly different angle for the pushrods (like on my S&S motor). The price was certainly right for the cases but it's sure easier dealing with S&S. Unfortunately I work which makes it difficult to wait for a call back.