Reasonable asking price for 2002 Roadking FLRHI

Started by Swordfish2615, February 19, 2009, 01:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordfish2615

I'm in the process of selling my '02 Roadking because I just don't ride that much anymore. Given the description below, I would be interested in hearing what people felt was a fair asking price.

- 2002 Maroon/Black Roadking FLRHI
- Great condition
- 1,402 miles (yes, that's correct)
- Hooker exhaust pipes
- Extra chrome (forks, hand and foot controls)
- Quick release backrest and windshield
- HD canvas cover
- Sears craftsman MC jack

Thanks in advance

razar

SF,
A lot depends on geographic location.  I've seen scoots sell for a lot more in Florida than here in New Hampshire.  It would help if members knew your location.
Razar
USMC (69-74) 0311
03 RK Luxury Blue    02 Ford F150 HD Supercharged

90flstc

harpo1313

quikbike

I hate snow

mayor

where are you located?  I think I know a fellow that's looking for an RK...

as far as a fair asking price, there going for between $10K-$12.5k off of private indivuals in my area.  There's an '02 RKC in my area that has 7,400 miles that the fellow is asking $12k for...  it all depends how long you want to wait on the right buyer.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

highlander

Well You aren't going to like this, but,  http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-23-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1&w=23&p=38&f=5698&m=0118&d=1200003843&y=2002&ml=H&gc=MC&gtc=MC

Average Retail $11,958. Stealer might give you 7k for it. Judging by the odometer, you didn't ride it much anyway, ever.
Why are we just sitting here, Lets ride.

Clintster

Drive fast, take chances

apes

2002 is the best year and a RK is right up there with a Road Glide as far as versatility etc, If really bent on selling it I would wait until June when the weather is better and after all the Harley riders have been on the road the awaken the people who wish they had one  then I would stick with KBB, heck the bike probably still smells new.....

Swordfish2615

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm located in Houston, Tx.

I tried posting a picture, but it seems that it's too big for the upload to work.

As far as keeping the bike, well, I've probably kept it longer than I should have. It definitely deserves someone who will ride it more than I have. I used to have a '97 Fatboy and rode it all the time when I was single. Now I'm married with two little kids and priorities in life sometimes change. It's been very tough to part with though, because I always thought I'd have a Hog well into my later years.

If you, or someone you know, is interested, feel free to contact me at roadking2615@gmail.com

mayor

Houston is a little out of range for the fellow that I knew that was looking.  :emsad: 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Trolling10

Also be carefull about telling exactly in a public add where you are to some just in care someone looking to find a free one.  Bought on from someone that didn't know me once and he meet me a few miles fm home at a mall.(smart) After purchase went to his house to get other stuff that went with it. (Just my thought)

Ghost Rider

If it has 1402 miles it should look like new. Mechanically it is like new. Barely broke in. I would probably  pay $13,500 for it. Hell, I have a 2002 Roadking with 50,000 miles and would keep it rather than sell it for $13,500.

ClassicRider2002

It sounds like a PERFECT BIKE!!!!!!!

I would like to know one thing though.....how do you only have 1402 miles on the bike.....it's 7 years old....that of course averages out to 200 miles per year.......is it garaged?

You know it's wierd this year I have personally learned about 2 other bikes with similar mileage.....and both were 2002 RK's as well.....

Regards,

"Classic"

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

June2017

I wouldn't give $13500 for it that's for sure.  The economy sucks, over 5 million are collecting benefits because of the no job problem, the bikes 7 years old, and that $13500 quote is from KBB.  KBB is a joke with vehicle values.   The deals right now for used bikes is incredible.  Anyone looking to buy a bike needs to get their financing worked out and go buy used.  Dont give the dealers your money with all these great deals waiting to be had.  Craigslist alone has folks crying that they lost their jobs and need to sell.   

NADA is the real value, and remember retail prices are what dealers try to sell it for. 

Low Retail     Average Retail

TOTAL PRICE     $9,475           $11,330

My offer for that King would be $8000.00

Swordfish2615

Yes, garaged and covered.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to try and sell in the 13K neighborhood. However, I would agree that the competition for selling used bikes is stiff right now. Probably some pretty good deals out there. I suspect there will be a better opportunity to sell in the May/June timeframe when better weather gets here and the price of gas starts skyrocketing again.

tireater

Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

ClassicRider2002

February 20, 2009, 08:33:05 AM #18 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:46:40 AM by ClassicRider2002
My offer for that King would be $8000.00

Roadglide.....man have to give it up to you for saying what you think....you must be "Republican" lol...spoken like a true "Republican"..... no wavering there that's for sure.....LOL....ok....just teasin....ok sorry about the political statement....

This bike, I will say again sounds like it is in perfect condition.....with only 1402 miles.....mileage is not always a proper indicatior but it sure does give you some warm fuzzies....lol....

There is enough arguement and foundational support to say that a 2002 is the best year for a TWIN CAM touring bike....and for another $800.00 or so one could make that bike a carb if they ever desired to....(not saying you would but you could, not saying it makes sense but the point is one could if one were "old school" and wanted carb vs EFI) 

I am still interested why the bike only has 1402 miles on it after 7 years? 

Also when was the last time the bike was started AND ridden for 25 miles? 

The bike is definitely worth $13,000 no doubt....but these are not normal times......although I would have to say to an "educated" HD Owner not one simply looking for new....they would have to be excited to purchase your bike.....simply establishing the right value will make it happen.....but $13,000 today will be unlikely.....But like I said just since Christmas I have seen 3 of these with very low mileage....under 2200 miles.....

I would think even in today's market it's worth $9,900.00 or just under the $10,000 figure.....to cause a transaction to change hands....2 years from now many will wish they had purchased your bike.....

I wonder if Roadglide is right.....and he said it in so few words.....and no I am not a Democrate......LOL.

When you do sell it Swordfish will you contact me and let me know.....I am curious what it will bring for you....

".....Probably some pretty good deals out there. I suspect there will be a better opportunity to sell in the May/June timeframe when better weather gets here and the price of gas starts skyrocketing again......"

Well I am not sure this is accurate thinking.....if gases start skyrocketing in May or June....the last thing anyone is going to be spending their $$$$ on is a HD motorcycle.....they aren't spending their money on motorcycles even now...when gas is $2.00 a gallon....because they have no money to do so.....probably a better thing to do here is if you aren't committed to selling the bike in 2009 for whatever it takes, be prepared to wait a couple more years when this whole world economy straightens out.....and if gas does sky rocket maybe YOU will begin putting some miles on that bike..... :up:

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Norskie

Swordfish,
Sorry to see that you are getting out of riding, but I know what it's like.  When my kids were growing up I got out of it for awhile.  The last couple of years before I sold my bike I only put on a couple hundred miles a year so (just like you) it didn't make sense to keep a bike, insure and license it.  I see you are in Houston.  I would think that now is a good time to be selling before the heat and humidity makes people want to drive the air conditioned cage.  A dealer told me years ago that the best time to sell up north (Iowa at that time) was March and April.  The first nice days, people start getting the fever for a bike even though it's early in the year.  Don't be bashful about your asking price.  That's a great bike and I would guess the only thing it needs is new tires due to them being seven years old.

Good luck.

In His grip,
Ray J.

Swordfish2615

ClassicRider2002 wanted to know why so few miles. A variety of reasons, but here are a few:

1. Sold my '97 Fatboy and bought the '02 Roadking so that my wife and I could ride 2-up more comfortably. Shortly after having kids, you come to the realization that the risk of orphaning your kids increases when you're both on the bike riding around Houston (no knock, but Houston ain't exactly a motorcycle friendly city - most big cities aren't).

2. Came close one time to being nailed by a cager who pulled out in front of me as I was going through an intersection. This really took alot of the fun out of riding for me.

3. Mentally, it's just been very hard to part with the bike. I've had an HD in the garage for the past 12 years and I always liked the idea of being able to walk out my backdoor, get on my bike and ride and let the stress of the everyday life fade away. But like Norskie says, there comes a point where it doesn't make sense to keep paying for insurance, licensing. etc.

4. Spent most of '06 and '07 traveling as a consultant and working out of town every week. Kind of a tough sell to be gone all week and then tell wife and kids on Sat. I'm going with my buddies to ride this afternoon.

5. Most of my friends that I used to ride with 10 or so years ago don't ride much anymore either. They've all gotten married and had kids too.

I started my bike this past Tuesday, Feb 17.

Had a guy call me a couple of times this week asking me about the bike. He was willing to offer me $11,500 without looking at the bike. Told him that $13K would be the bottom for me. Neither of us was willing to budge. He left his offer open if I decided to change my mind.

June2017

Man do I understand the orphan thing.  My wife always uses that excuse when it comes to going places.  She's not worried about me, but instead everyone else.  I was surprised she did a trip last October with me.   :dgust:

I do hope your able to sell your bike for the $$$ amount you want, but I believe it'll be hard for ya.  Most folks like myself wanna steal things when we buy used, and let me say that if one is patient then the thievery will happen. 

Yes,.....I'm a die hard Republican !   :rtfb: :teeth:

ClassicRider2002

February 20, 2009, 02:38:34 PM #22 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:44:16 PM by ClassicRider2002
Swordfish~~~~

Thanks for sharing...... :up:

It sounds as if you don't need the money.......I say that because if you did you would have already sold it for $11,500.00.  Take the insurance off of it, don't license it....and let it sit until your ready to ride again....your kids will grow...(how old are you?) and the desire to ride will return.....then you'll wish you had the bike again.....and you won't find one as nice as the one you are selling....But then again....it's Houston....so maybe that's just a bad place to own a bike.  I know I am glad I don't live in a city like Denver trying to ride around......so I suppose the merits of ownership within such a large metropolitan area would dampen one's excitement....

BUTTTTTT you're here because you want to sell it.....so why you asking us what it's worth when you had a buyer at $11,500.00 that was a darn good offer in todays enviornment.....and yes $13,000 would even be better so you already know the value and what your willing to take.......you are just PLAYIN with us...HUH....LOL....(teasin) go over to the SWAP section and put it for sale there (if you haven't already)......

You turned down, $11,500.00 shame on you...

:gob:    <~~~~lol

Regards,

"Classic"

sheeezzzz you and the guy that hates to fly need to get together (another General THREAD) if it's your day to die, it's your day to die.....you can't live one's life feeling like you might leave your family as a orphan.....BUTTTT (OK so I am practicing my Democratic point of you....patience grasshopper) you have a valid reasons just the same.....there is such a thing as "needless" risk.....but I feel for you that you are worried about such......live your life....without fear of not living it to the fullest.....BUTTTT I also get your point about being gone all week.....but heck if the economy keeps going the way it is.....you won't be gone that much any longer anyway...... :hyst:

MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

02roadcling

February 20, 2009, 06:37:41 PM #23 Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:39:45 PM by 02roadcling
>>> I'm in the process of selling my '02 Roadking because I just don't ride that much anymore. <<<

1402 miles qualifies for not that much anymore. Did you put those miles on the first week when you used to ride alot more?
Sorry man, I couldn't resist myself, just struck me as funny is all.
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Mi_RDGlide

This one sold on ebay for $11,600.00, 1053 miles. IMO $11,500 if you want to sell it now, $13,000.00 if you can find a buyer who wants a low mileage bike. First thing buyer has to do is put on new tires. Should be able to buy then all day with under 20,000 miles for 8 to 11 grand, With new tires and extras.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-Harley-Davidson-Touring-FLHR-only-1053-miles_W0QQitemZ290293863502QQihZ019QQcategoryZ49996QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
You only need to be 10% smarter than the thing your working on.

Swordfish2615

Mi_RDGlide - the EBay listing you posted pretty much hit the nail on the head. Looks exactly like my bike except mine is maroon/black. Looks like I have my answer. $11,500 is a fair offer price then.

Mi_RDGlide

Quote from: Swordfish2615 on February 20, 2009, 07:13:32 PM
Mi_RDGlide - the EBay listing you posted pretty much hit the nail on the head. Looks exactly like my bike except mine is maroon/black. Looks like I have my answer. $11,500 is a fair offer price then.

Tell him 12000 will buy it, if he ho hums split the difference.
You only need to be 10% smarter than the thing your working on.

ClassicRider2002

now with all this suspense....will you let us know what it truly sells for when your wavin your wad.....

of cash........

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

guitar sam

i was thinking of selling my bike because with the job i have, i don't have time to ride it.  may thru October is the season really.  with hobbies like fishing biking, kayaking, and the Dr told me to walk 1 hour a day, not much time left with two hours of commuting 5 days a week.  but, i will be done working in a few years (between one and three years) and i will have lots of more time.  i would lose allot of money now and pay thru the nose later to buy.  so i am just going to hang in there till i am done working.

gs

L-

The jig is up folks.  What will insurance pay for that if it is totaled??   Now, work from there and see how much you want to loose.  I see nothing wrong with $8000.00 to 9000.00 on this.  So let another get it for  $13,000.  A guy at work bought a 1990 EVO dresser for $9000.00.  It needed a battery, stator, missing bolts replaced etc.  I told him I would have sold him my 2001 FLHR for $9000.00 and it has extra wheels, tires, exhaust etc.

L-

Swordfish2615

Bike sold today for $11,750.

Thanks again everyone for your questions and comments.

Be careful and be safe.

Clintster

Did it hurt to sell it ? If it wasn't so far away I could have sold it for you twice.  You did good and somebody got a good deal... Seems most the guys I know don't want to travel unless it is something exotic.
Drive fast, take chances