April 27, 2024, 09:46:16 PM

News:

broken spoke

Started by blackbeard 60, February 19, 2009, 03:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackbeard 60

i have a broken spoke in the rear wheel now can i replace that spoke or do i have to relace the whole thing. :

76shuvlinoff

February 19, 2009, 03:25:48 PM #1 Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:27:32 PM by 76shuvlinoff
 You gotta pull the wheel remove the tire and replace the spoke. 
I pull the wheel but I don't have the tools or attitude for fighting with a tire so my indy puts in a new one, checks the rest of them, checks for true and remounts the tire for $20.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

blackbeard 60

chrispfryd

"$20 bucks" what a deal. last time I checked local shops near me wanted $45-$80 just to change a tire. what a rip. I bought the tools and did my own.

Little Al

I buy the tire anyplace that's cheap
I take the wheel off (front or rear)
bring both into my local HD dealer
he removes old tire, mounts new tire, balances, tosses old tire (if I don't want it) all for that same $20

it's the dealer that makes the difference...
Little Al

76shuvlinoff

My indy fixes me up cheap but after all these years he still won't mount a tire he didn't sell, can't really blame him.  The Kawasaki shop in town will mount anything I bring in.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

LilBill

if it's an outside spoke and it's broke at the bend on the hub you can replace it without taking the wheel off. just unscrew it from the nipple, slide in the new spoke and reuse the nipple.
i learned that trick after i laced up a wheel with a chinese replacement hub and the spoke head angles were off. i broke a spoke a week with that piece of crap before i tossed it.