May 03, 2024, 03:21:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

124" build...I'll let the cat out of the bag

Started by No Cents, July 07, 2013, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaycee1964

Hey wait a minute!!  You stole my Cam cover!!Thief!!
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

Ohio HD

strokerjlk

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 20, 2013, 04:53:58 AM
Quote from: No Cents on July 20, 2013, 02:11:37 AM
1/2" ID PVC plumbing couplers

I like you're signature.  :up:
did you let the cat out of the bag?.........you know the one ray bagged up for you :chop:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Ohio HD

Quote from: strokerjlk on July 20, 2013, 05:14:33 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 20, 2013, 04:53:58 AM
Quote from: No Cents on July 20, 2013, 02:11:37 AM
1/2" ID PVC plumbing couplers

I like you're signature.  :up:
did you let the cat out of the bag?.........you know the one ray bagged up for you :chop:

I did, it's not proper to keep a fine motor like that in the dark.    :chop:

No Cents

the primary side is done. clutch adjusted and fluid in.

[attach=0]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

No Cents

cam side done as far as I can go until I get the heads.

[attach=0]

No Cents

July 21, 2013, 08:15:58 AM #106 Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:24:21 PM by No Cents
I opened up the throat of my Performance Machine backing plate to match the 66mm T/Hogs bore.
There is a fat 66mm T/Hog hiding behind the backing plate in the pic.

[attach=0]

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: No Cents on July 21, 2013, 08:15:58 AM
I opened up the throat of my Performance Machine backing plate to match the 66mm T/Hogs bore.
There is a fat 66mm T/Hog hiding behind the backing plate in the pic.

[attach=0]

So what steps did you take to make the modification?

Max

No Cents

Max...1st I bolted the backing plate to the t/body. Then I took a piece of pencil that I cut off to be 1" long. I traced the t/body's bore diameter to the inside of the backing plate. I put the backing plate in my vise in between cardboard so I wouldn't mar it up. I used a round rasp file and removed most of the material until I got it close. Then I used a round chain saw file to get it to be an exact match to the bore. I then used some emery cloth to smooth it out after I got it to match the t/body's bore.
It took me about an hour to do it...I was bored.

WI Bob

Quote from: No Cents on July 22, 2013, 08:57:39 AM
Max...1st I bolted the backing plate to the t/body. Then I took a piece of pencil that I cut off to be 1" long. I traced the t/body's bore diameter to the inside of the backing plate. I put the backing plate in my vise in between cardboard so I wouldn't mar it up. I used a round rasp file and removed most of the material until I got it close. Then I used a round chain saw file to get it to be an exact match to the bore. I then used some emery cloth to smooth it out after I got it to match the t/body's bore.
It took me about an hour to do it...I was bored.

Very nice work!
Just here for the women.

Admiral Akbar

Looks like you did a real nice job.. I was thinking you machined it..

Max

BUBBIE

:rose:

He did Max,,,,,,,using the Famous "Hand Bridge-port" & Lots of Elbow-Grease... I had a "Hand Lathe" like that once :hyst:

Good job.......

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

NCTURBOS

Quote from: No Cents on July 19, 2013, 10:39:03 AM
Yes they are S&S cylinders...special ordered with no high lighted fins. They costs me $20.00 extra for all black.

Yup, might have to spend the extra $20.00 myself when the time comes!  Looks great!

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

No Cents

Quote from: NCTURBOS on July 22, 2013, 01:14:43 PM
Quote from: No Cents on July 19, 2013, 10:39:03 AM
Yes they are S&S cylinders...special ordered with no high lighted fins. They costs me $20.00 extra for all black.

Yup, might have to spend the extra $20.00 myself when the time comes!  Looks great!

K.
:up:
thanks...I cant wait to see the heads that I stripped on them black jugs. I think it will complete the package.

biggzed

Have you been running the Clarity covers for a while? I've heard some complaints about them cracking. Tough to tell if those complaints are getting blown out of proportion by people that don't use the parts. I know nothing like that happens on the internet.  :wink:

Zach

No Cents

Quote from: biggzed on July 22, 2013, 02:23:48 PM
Have you been running the Clarity covers for a while? I've heard some complaints about them cracking. Tough to tell if those complaints are getting blown out of proportion by people that don't use the parts. I know nothing like that happens on the internet.  :wink:

Zach
I put it on this past winter, and ran it this spring and into the summer...until about a week ago when I put the bike on the lift. I have the primary cover also. No issues with either. I plan on using them both again.
I have gotten a lot of compliments on them...people see them, and see the internal parts spinning with the oil sloshing around, and they just have to tell me how cool it looks.  :nix: but I like them.

Jaycee1964

Quote from: No Cents on July 22, 2013, 02:38:13 PM
Quote from: biggzed on July 22, 2013, 02:23:48 PM

Zach
I put it on this past winter, and ran it this spring and into the summer...until about a week ago when I put the bike on the lift. I have the primary cover also. No issues with either. I plan on using them both again.
I have gotten a lot of compliments on them...people see them, and see the internal parts spinning with the oil sloshing around, and they just have to tell me how cool it looks.  :nix: but I like them.

I had hairline cracks in the lexan where the fasteners hold onto the cam cover.  RSD sent me new lexan and orings for free.  Good support.  The primary cover has had zero issues.  I like the look and many others do also
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

1931jamesw

Ray, hard to tell from the pictures but are those fins on the cylinders the thinner style? Mine are the thicker style. Curious to know how they might look with your 110 heads if you're running the thicker fins on the cylinders. I know S&S claims the thicker fins kill engine noises. I thought it was probably a sales pitch but I have bought in, all I hear on my 124" are pipe and roller rockers. My buddies 120R has horrific valve train noise even though Ive installed Gaterman 1023's and Race series adjustables from Feuling. I think its just the characteristics of the SE-266 cams but Im told the extra noise comes free with the 120R.  :nix:

No Cents

these are the new style cylinders that S&S offers. I just don't think they went thru the process to machine the fins flat to highlight them. They seem to be the same thickness that the 117"er had.

Deye76

Ray, since you sold Brian the 117" what are you going use for rocker covers?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

No Cents

July 23, 2013, 06:02:49 AM #121 Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:38:13 PM by No Cents
John...I bought a set of used factory chrome uppers/lowers from Jaycee1964.
You can see them sitting in the background of the pic I posted of the backing plate. They are cleaned and inside zip locked baggies...ready to go with new 12 point chrome bolts and washers to fasten them down with. The rocker arm supports are sitting next to them...the roller rocker arms & shafts are assembly lubed and the breather valves are sitting in place.
I know  :doh: it's a little over the top...but I've always cleaned all my parts real good ahead of time...blow them dry with air...then put them directly into zip lock baggies until I'm ready to install them...moving parts that require lube...get lubed in advance, then baggied. I have everything laid out on the table ready to go when the time comes to install them.
I'm a fanatic about cleanliness when it come to assembling a motor. Better yet, as Jim (Strokerjlk) says about me...I'm 8 up  :hyst:
Old habits are hard to break I guess!

No Cents

the 5" Trapp Can and heat shield came in today from the chromer...wow...it's amazing...show quality.

[attach=0]

smokein

Davedeluxe

2008 FLSTN w/124". 2016 FLHTCU w/127". Both by Razorback Performance