May 10, 2024, 09:41:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

124" build...I'll let the cat out of the bag

Started by No Cents, July 07, 2013, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

319fatboy and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

06roadglide

Quote from: No Cents on March 31, 2016, 05:11:16 AM
    :agree:
I will not do anything like this again...unless I have another bike to ride.  :up:
I've learned my lesson.

Yep!! I have 2 but the one I want to ride is always the one that's getting something done to it.
My next new bike, whatever that may be, is staying stock. I'd have it already if Harley ever makes it. Could end up on a BMW 1600 Ktl if Harley doesn't step up to the times.

JohnCA58

Best thing I ever did was buying the BMW K1600 GTL for the second bike,  now it is no rush to work on the Harley when it is needed.  getting ready to load both bikes today in the trailer to go spend some time in Las Vegas and then on to PHX for Bike Week for a week. I will never be without a second bike again.
YOLO

Hossamania

I have to admit, having a second bike is pretty sweet. Took the old one out to go for a ride, but it wouldn't start, dead battery. Darn, had to take the new one instead.
My life is hell.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ray G

I keep a Yamaha 2012 FJR that I bought slightly used as a second bike.  Neither the 08 CVO Road King or the FJR have the proper wind protection I need for an old neck injury that just keeps getting worse as I get older.  Took the RK out yesterday and came back like I had whiplash.  Had to take extra Oxicodone to be able to sleep.  I will keep the RK but definitely will be looking at the BMW or Goldwing line up for going long distances without getting beat up.  Went through enough parts to get to 88K miles to make sure I don't get another HD.  Love the bike but can't take the financial or physical beating.

kd

Quote from: Ray G on March 31, 2016, 02:37:29 PM
I keep a Yamaha 2012 FJR that I bought slightly used as a second bike.  Neither the 08 CVO Road King or the FJR have the proper wind protection I need for an old neck injury that just keeps getting worse as I get older.  Took the RK out yesterday and came back like I had whiplash.  Had to take extra Oxicodone to be able to sleep.  I will keep the RK but definitely will be looking at the BMW or Goldwing line up for going long distances without getting beat up.  Went through enough parts to get to 88K miles to make sure I don't get another HD.  Love the bike but can't take the financial or physical beating.

Ray G, I have a herniated disc in my neck and suffer lots, especially on long trips. Get yourself a cervical collar from the drugstore. It doesn't have to be a big gronky one but it should fit well. Don't wait until your hurting. Get in the habit of putting it on and using it regularly). I don't use it for hopping around town though.) Doing this has been a savior for me. I regularly do 300 to 600 mile days in my area when working at my consulting business visiting clients. I use my Road Glide lots but when I carry a weeks worth of gear and manuals etc. I use the sidecar rig and it takes more out of you on the windy roads we have. The collar keeps it in check and is always with me.
KD

gabbyduffy

I'm I the only guy that thinks machining a set of titanium retainers to fit a 10* keeper and a 5/16 valve is a bit strange? Why go threw all that? but what do I know? Ray your PM is full by the way.
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

HD/Wrench

Ray take a look or should I say ride on a vision.. Yes I know , and yes I know but stop looking at it and just ride it.. I think you will be shocked at how well thought out the ergonomics of the bike really are.. Oh yea I know 

Eglider05

March 31, 2016, 03:43:42 PM #4382 Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:45:59 PM by Eglider05
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on March 31, 2016, 03:36:50 PM
Ray take a look or should I say ride on a vision.. Yes I know , and yes I know but stop looking at it and just ride it.. I think you will be shocked at how well thought out the ergonomics of the bike really are.. Oh yea I know

I'm not sure how I would get from the garage door to the bike without puking. I guess a blindfold would work, hard to ride that way though.  (JMHO) :SM:

No Cents

March 31, 2016, 04:37:13 PM #4383 Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 03:13:37 AM by No Cents
Quote from: gabbyduffy on March 31, 2016, 03:36:29 PM
    I'm I the only guy that thinks machining a set of titanium retainers to fit a 10* keeper and a 5/16 valve is a bit strange? Why go threw all that? but what do I know? Ray your PM is full by the way.

all's I know is that according to Fred the Comp Cams Conical spring doesn't come set up for the 5/16" valves that are in my 110 heads.
The spring itself is suppose to be the wave of the future. Nascar has already switched over to them on all their cars. They are suppose to be stronger and perform a lot better than a beehive or double or triple spring...with little to no harmonics coming from them. I've watch a few videos of the conical spring and I agreed with Fred that if he could incorporate them into my heads...to go for it.
  As far as the 10* locks go...he's reply to that was he didn't trust a 7* keeper on the 5/16" valves. He said his goal was to have a tight 10* keeper installed so that it would help keep the valve from spinning.

added later:
My pm box only has one saved pm in it.  :nix:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

98fxstc

Hang in there Ray
   :up:
Nothing ventured , nothing gained

HighLiner

Quote from: No Cents on March 31, 2016, 05:11:16 AM
I will not do anything like this again...unless I have another bike to ride.  :up:
I've learned my lesson.

I could always bring you my bike and have you jam my 124 in!  :fish:

CVOThunder

Quote from: Eglider05 on March 31, 2016, 03:43:42 PM
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on March 31, 2016, 03:36:50 PM

I'm not sure how I would get from the garage door to the bike without puking. I guess a blindfold would work, hard to ride that way though.  (JMHO) :SM:

Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

Smarty

Man Ray, I sure am missing your post on your 124" motor. Surely you have some exciting info you can share with us to tide us over.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

No Cents

May 03, 2016, 06:06:24 AM #4388 Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:22:18 AM by No Cents
deleted

HD/Wrench

Hope to see you get it fired up soon..  Mine is coming apart , for some work .. :wink: little porting on the heads , going to recoat the wiseco pistons with line to line .. just a few things I wanted to do..

Raleigh111

I have read maybe 50 of these pages, pretty good stuff. What are you going to do with this thread when bike is done? You will have to start a new thread or forum membership may fall off!
" cat is on the road"
"Burnout cat"
"Alley cat"
Harleys are addicting and im out of money. Accepting donations! 120 132hp 146tq

No Cents

May 03, 2016, 09:03:51 AM #4391 Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:23:07 AM by No Cents
 deleted

Hossamania

Do you even remember how it goes back together?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

No Cents

May 03, 2016, 09:16:58 AM #4393 Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:23:33 AM by No Cents
deleted

Jaycee1964

Quit rubbing on it!  You'll go blind!!
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

groundhog143

May 03, 2016, 09:58:13 AM #4395 Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:01:41 AM by groundhog143
I just got to say since Ray's retirement and him patiently waiting for his heads he has taken up baking that part I like some of the best damn home made cookies and pies and cakes you'll ever eat but the other day he noticed a button missing from one of my flannel shirts now if Ray takes up sewing I'll probably round up our riding buddies for a intervention.. :hyst:

Jaycee1964

Next thing you know he'll be watching Gray anatomy and Nashville with the wife...
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

HD/Wrench

well ray any time you need a break , come on down and we can have a beer and some brisket and you can get mine to look that nice .. HA HA . They do get dirty and until you have to work on them most never know how grungy they really are.  well look at it this way. If you have a leak you will know right where its as , being so clean ..

No Cents

May 03, 2016, 01:50:14 PM #4398 Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 04:24:03 AM by No Cents
deleted

1FSTRK

I am not worried about you Ray, with 410877 views for this thread you do not need a soap opera and neither do we.
Inventing your own parts, trying things nobody else has, always doing things your own way instead of buying from the shelf or a crate, you could have a successful show on the Discovery channel from this thread and bike alone.

You're in it for the journey not the destination and I think that is great. Heck with the bolt together, dyno tuning, feedback after some street miles, and the story of an up and coming drag racer we have enough coming to get three more seasons from you.

Ray as always thanks for taking us along on your journey.
Eric
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."