September 20, 2024, 06:28:25 PM

News:

124" build...I'll let the cat out of the bag

Started by No Cents, July 07, 2013, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: Gmr-Performance on August 27, 2013, 06:44:33 AM
Buy the steel sprocket for double duty.. drag only then save the weight. I laugh about hardened aluminum it is still so much softer than a the cheap drag steel sprocket. Here is a so called billet unit that never even made the street it started to throw teeth off on the dyno  :hyst: Bought another from another shop that is to replace the IDS it did not last much longer. Stupid steel drag sprocket takes a beating. Might not have a sexy look but its got the good to handle 200 + hp  :up:

No surprise there. 7075 while a great alloy, really has no place for sprocket applications. The slightest pitch change in the chain and kiss the tips of the teeth goodbye.
Ron

HD/Wrench

Quote from: rbabos on August 27, 2013, 06:55:28 AM
Quote from: Gmr-Performance on August 27, 2013, 06:44:33 AM
Buy the steel sprocket for double duty.. drag only then save the weight. I laugh about hardened aluminum it is still so much softer than a the cheap drag steel sprocket. Here is a so called billet unit that never even made the street it started to throw teeth off on the dyno  :hyst: Bought another from another shop that is to replace the IDS it did not last much longer. Stupid steel drag sprocket takes a beating. Might not have a sexy look but its got the good to handle 200 + hp  :up:

No surprise there. 7075 while a great alloy, really has no place for sprocket applications. The slightest pitch change in the chain and kiss the tips of the teeth goodbye.
Ron

YEA but its billet its super tough its hardened , I read it on the internet it must be true :emoGroan:  I think the steel sprocket was 30-40 bucks . Powder coat it if you want black or rattle can it, on a bagger who cares you can not see it any ways

Admiral Akbar

Was that aluminum sprocket chromed? How many miles on it?

Max

HD/Wrench

No chrome, it had low miles on it.  Steel just flat out works. its that simple.  We installed a complete Zippers kit for a guy running the Hoka Hey it did not last 1/2 the trip. He was dead set on checking it etc, he was freaked out that a belt would break and stop him from completing the run, in fact the teeth shed and it had to be towed in as it would not even move.  Lighter bike less tq way less jerk in the chain IE import bike they will last longer but even those we swap out for the import guys 2-1 over steel.

No Cents

Quote from: JohnCA58 on August 26, 2013, 07:29:59 PM
I use to run the 3.15 when I first put the 120 in, and have since changed it to 3.27 and it is much better.  I have been running the EK zzz chain and have not had to adjust the chain since install 7K miles ago.  I went thru the aluminum rear sprocket in no time at all,  and since have bought two steel sprocket for different gearing, the sprockets show no wear at all.  PBI make great gears and show no wear in last 15K miles.   I am running a 18 rear wheel with 180 tire.
where can I buy the steel sprockets...the aluminum sprocket does scare me.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

JohnCA58

August 27, 2013, 09:45:56 AM #605 Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:53:51 AM by JohnCA58
my aluminum sprocket from 3 Guyz didn't last 4K miles with teeth almost completely gone.  I got the steel sprockets from CA Phil,  very cheap but show no wear at all.  cheap enough to keep couple different gearing for long trip or around town and or even 1/4 mile runs.   I change between a 49t and 51t sprocket and still keep the same chain link length,  less than an hour to change them. 
YOLO

No Cents

August 27, 2013, 01:45:43 PM #606 Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:19:16 PM by No Cents
 I called Zipper's again today and asked if the could get rear steel sprockets...they said no way. They told me PBI makes their sprockets for them for their chain conversion kits.
I went to PBI's web site and they only offer a 7075-T6 aircraft aluminum rear sprocket for a Harley.
PBI states this about their rear sprockets:
Manufactured from 7075-T6 quality aircraft aluminum which surpasses common steel sprockets in tensile, yield and shear strength.  :scratch:
I'm having trouble finding rear steel sprockets for my bike. I stopped by my friends Indy shop (Donny Loos) which was the owner/founder of Sucker Punch Sally bikes...I asked him about where I could possibly find a rear steel sprocket. He told me that a company named Rebel Gear in Tennessee made all his steel sprockets for his Sucker Punch Sally bikes and should be able to make me any size steel sprocket I wanted. I'm going to check with them and see what they have to say.
So for now...I guess it will have to stay belt. If I'm going to make the switch to chain...the sprockets will both have to be steel.

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

No Cents

:up:
thanks...but I need a 56 or a 57 tooth rear sprocket for the gear ratio I'm after. I just looked at Rebel Gears web site...they only offer the 7075-T6 aluminum rear sprockets also.
It seems most company's are going to the 7075-T6 for some reason  :scratch:

HD/Wrench

Not sure why you are going after one that large what do you plan on running for a front?

As for steel PBI now is making steel sprockets for the ATV's and as you have read guys have tried the 7075 and they dont last.

06roadglide

Maybe give "Spacely Sprockets" a try. Their prices are out of this world but the material they use is space age alloy. Tell them George sent you.  :bike:

Sorry Ray. I couldn't resist.   :beer:

No Cents

Steve the front was going to be a 24...with a rear 56 it would give me a 3.157...same as I'm right now with the belt.
A 24 with a 57 would give me a 3.213.
I talked to the guy @ Rebel Gear on the phone a few minutes ago. He said that he would guarantee his 7075-T6 rear sprocket for 10,000 miles on a 150+ hp motor. He said he knows of 200hp Hyabusa's having over 15,000 miles on one of his 7075-T6 rear sprockets with no problems and still running strong  :nix:
I don't have the +150hp motor...so I might be good to go with a 7075-T6 sprocket.
What I'm not liking hearing...is everyone that I have talked to so far about chain conversions says....15-20,000 miles tops out of the gears and chains. 

No Cents

Quote from: 06roadglide on August 27, 2013, 02:50:32 PM
Maybe give "Spacely Sprockets" a try. Their prices are out of this world but the material they use is space age alloy. Tell them George sent you.  :bike:

Sorry Ray. I couldn't resist.   :beer:
too many Jetson's for you...your cut off of those pills   :hyst:

No Cents

Quote from: hrdtail78 on August 27, 2013, 02:12:48 PM
http://www.superiorsprockets.com/sprocket_racing.html
thanks...I just got off the phone with Randy @ Superior Sprockets. He has been making sprockets since 1976. He told me that there is no USA manufacturer making steel rear sprockets for the late model Harley chain conversions ...and the products coming from abroad are junk in quality...and the aluminum rear sprockets don't last!
He said he will be tooled up hopefully by this time next month to begin making steel rear sprockets for all Harley's. He said he will be using a water jet to make them vs a laser cutter. He said the water jet leaves a satin finish...vs a tooled finish that a laser produces. He is having another well dug to support the extra water flow needed for the water jet to cut the hardened steel. Randy said he can make sprockets any size you wanted. He said he refuses to put out a product that isn't perfect and made here entirely in the USA.
I liked him...super nice guy...he earned my business. I told him I will call him back next month and place an order when he's up and running.
A proud true American there men!

HD/Wrench

August 27, 2013, 03:32:23 PM #616 Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:36:10 PM by Gmr-Performance
Quote from: No Cents on August 27, 2013, 02:57:37 PM
Steve the front was going to be a 24...with a rear 56 it would give me a 3.157...same as I'm right now with the belt.
A 24 with a 57 would give me a 3.213.
I talked to the guy @ Rebel Gear on the phone a few minutes ago. He said that he would guarantee his 7075-T6 rear sprocket for 10,000 miles on a 150+ hp motor. He said he knows of 200hp Hyabusa's having over 15,000 miles on one of his 7075-T6 rear sprockets with no problems and still running strong  :nix:
I don't have the +150hp motor...so I might be good to go with a 7075-T6 sprocket.
What I'm not liking hearing...is everyone that I have talked to so far about chain conversions says....15-20,000 miles tops out of the gears and chains.

Yep have heard that very thing HOWEVER call him and tell him its making 140+ tq and 120 TQ + at 2300 RPM and you plan on launching a 900 + lbs bike... Think about what RPM you plan on leaving the line, slip the clutch or not its still mega shock to the system,  Then ask him if he will still warranty the sprocket.  Do what you want I heard the same deal, and broke the 7075 units, you have others stating the very same thing I am telling you. Your money boss.

My softail with steel was rock solid and held up with many pass down the track and street use.. 1/4  mile is at every stop light some days :bike:

Chains would stretch and need replacement at least twice a year. That was a 200 MM rear tire

the super charger bike making 200+ and 170+ had a offshore steel unit that is holding up just fine. and its was a 08 with a PM rear wheel so hence no IDS basic early bolt on style I bought it right out of Drag. It bolted up and worked fine.

m1marty

Not sure why the PBI aluminum sprockets aren't holding..... :nix:
I can take some pictures of ours. Lots of miles. Lots of abuse. One on our 400 something horse nitro bike. Coupled with the afore mentioned EK ZZZ chains- they're holding up. Several on 100+ hp/tq bikes.
OFFO

jam65

Maybe give Sidewinder a call. They state that they can make any sprocket needed and have a lifetime guarantee on their top of the line sprocket. Several materials to choose from if you would like to spend less.

vdop

Quote from: jam65 on August 27, 2013, 03:58:11 PM
Maybe give Sidewinder a call. They state that they can make any sprocket needed and have a lifetime guarantee on their top of the line sprocket. Several materials to choose from if you would like to spend less.
That's who I used for my custom sprocket for my buell wheel. I sent them a buell pulley and they made a drawing and cut one for me. Pretty sure their custom sprockets are only available flat and they also don't offer the custom sprockets in their newest material so I got their "Ti-moly" version that he said I would never wear out. It took longer than I was hoping but came out decent and is holding up great. There is no visible wear on the teeth after over 3k miles. Not even the coating on it is worn off. Price was reasonable too for a one off. It's not light though. I've been considering having them cut an aluminum one but have been unsure about it lasting.

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

No Cents

August 27, 2013, 05:22:16 PM #621 Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:51:22 PM by No Cents
Quote from: ThumperDeuce on August 27, 2013, 05:14:53 PM
Be careful about Sidewinder.  This guy sure was unhappy:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847085
wow...not good...but their titanium sprockets look killer.

vdop

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on August 27, 2013, 05:14:53 PM
Be careful about Sidewinder.  This guy sure was unhappy:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847085
I should have made a disclaimer, I'm not exactly suggesting them. I read a few bad reviews after already sending them my pulley and paying. I fell for all the claims on the website and made in USA stuff. Plus I couldn't find anyone else to cut a custom steel sprocket. I was pretty nervous, especially with how long it was taking. Wasn't totally impressed with the fit and finish of the sprocket when I finally got it either. But I can't really argue with the results. The sprocket and chain have been perfect.

Admiral Akbar

Don't know what you guys are doing to kill the aluminum sprockets but here is one with about 12000 miles on it.. Not a bagger but the motor make 144/146 last check.. Punch it down to 3rd to pass a car an when the tire hits the center line it can spin.. tire is a 170/60-17 BT023..

Max

joelp34252

August 27, 2013, 07:29:02 PM #624 Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:31:58 PM by joelp34252
For a steel sprocket go to your local Applied Industrial Technology store. Have them order  a #50 chain plate sprocket from Martin Gear for you, in any number of teeth you want. I allways paid the extra 15$ or so to have it flame hardened. Now take to your local shop that has a mill and have them bore the center hole and drill the bolt pattern. You will have a rear sprocket that will go at least 25000 street  miles and outlast many 7075 aluminum  rear sprockets.

Joel 2001 FLHT