124" build...I'll let the cat out of the bag

Started by No Cents, July 07, 2013, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwmorris

Just remember the weakest link-
Right now your rear tire is dissipating the stored energy that you release when you twist your right wrist while releasing your clutch.
The rear tire is your weakest link but also your friend.
You get a rear tire that hooks and bam-up goes the front end, possiblly slamming down all that weight on your front suspension.
That energy will also get transferred to your chassis, rear belt, clutch, etc...
Pick your poison...

No Cents

:up:  I know Paul. The tire is my friend right now...it's about wore out and spins very easily, especially on these cooler roads right now.
I do have everything I need to do the chain conversion sitting on the work bench...but that will probably show the next weakest link as you stated.
I think the pipe is a savior and blessing in disguise also. It has moved the torque more to the right so it doesn't have that sudden low end blast on the drivetrain.
But when it hits that sweet spot...it's lock and loaded for bear it feels like.
This is an on going experiment...and I'm sure it's only getting started  :doh:
It still has a long way to go to get it where I want it...but I think it has made some progress towards my final goal.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

strokerjlk

Shinko 150 rear @ 10-13 psi . Then lets see it reach for the sky .  :potstir:
Or drop the pressure to 13 psi with the metzler . Have randy shoot the video  :fish:
"Excuse me while I kiss the sky "  :smilep:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

groundhog143

Videographer is ready to catch ray riding some 1 oclockers.. :beer:.

No Cents

Quote from: groundhog135 on November 30, 2013, 07:24:04 AM
Videographer is ready to catch ray riding some 1 oclockers.. :beer:.
1 oclockers  :doh:
more like this   :scoot:   :hyst:

jam65

No Cents in leaving a tire with some rubber on it. A video burning it down a little would be nice.

No Cents

December 01, 2013, 05:31:32 AM #1106 Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:44:37 AM by No Cents
Quote from: strokerjlk on November 26, 2013, 06:09:19 PM
blue is zilla
red is burns

Jim was kind enough  :up: to make and send me a new map yesterday with the throttle progressivity adjusted a little bit. It seemed to had lost a little bit of it's blip factor...but now it's back. The throttle response is amazing on it again and I couldn't be happier with the way it performs now with the Burns pipe.
It was 46* outside so I took it out for a little ride yesterday for about an hour or so. It's got excellent in town slow speed manners now with the ability to roll on it from any rpm while moving slow...with absolutely no hesitation and smooth instant power delivery. This is by far the best the bike has ever felt.
I know the dyno graph shows a lose in bottom end torque...but I sure can't feel it anywhere. Once your above 2500-3000 rpm's it seems to be a totally different bike with tons of extra power on tap at the twist of the wick...which for some reason doesn't jive with the graph.  :nix: The mid range and top end is mind boggling now. It's almost undescribable.
  It tachs up so fast and hits that sweet spot in the rpm's before you realize it...and once it does...you better have it pointed straight...and be hanging on tight.  :wink:
I wish it was the beginning of summer instead of going into the winter months. It's going to be hard to park this thing for the winter and not be able to get it out on the roads here in Ohio real soon.
The only future plans I have for it this winter is to do the chain conversion and mount a new set of tires on it...then I'll end up going stir crazy watching the snow fly  :doh: 

Durwood

110 ft lbs at 2500? Mine only has 2 more than that at peak :hyst:  If I was ever to ride a bike like that, I would be ruined :chop:

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

No Cents

good question  :nix: ...that's why I decided to make the Burns pipe to see if I could get rid of that 4500 dip.
No more dip at 4500...and way more fun to ride. The bike is a total different machine now.

Durwood...when we ever hook up...I plan on spoiling you...you have to feel it to believe it.

biggzed

If you want to convert the rear to a 180 tire, it's a simple rear fender swap. Especially if you're already going to a chain conversion. I put a 180/55/18 on the rear of my 2007 using a fender from Native Custom Baggers. He uses a Klockwerks rear fender and welds in filler panels. This is an all steel set-up that is VERY stout.

Zach

strokerjlk

Quote from: No Cents on December 01, 2013, 10:14:17 AM
good question  :nix: ...that's why I decided to make the Burns pipe to see if I could get rid of that 4500 dip.
No more dip at 4500...and way more fun to ride. The bike is a total different machine now.

Durwood...when we ever hook up...I plan on spoiling you...you have to feel it to believe it.
it doesn't have to dip. (if that's what you want to call it)
it could have been a nice flat 138/138 curve
once again ......if it wasn't working so good below 4500 rpm ,there wouldn't be a dip
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Durwood

Quote from: No Cents on December 01, 2013, 10:14:17 AM

Thanks buddy, but I ain't riding one till I can afford one, Jim has offered on several occasions but I have not taken him up on it.
Reminds me of the first time I drank beer, shoulda never popped the top.. :hyst:

Deye76

With a fender swap you can run a 180 with your belt, with a chain a 200 will fit. Need a wider rim.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

No Cents

:up:
thanks for the bigger fender and tire suggestions men.
I'll try to wedge this 160/60-18 tire under the rear that I've already got for next season.
It might be all I need if I can get it under the fender.
I got a chance to ride the bike again today...I'm pretty much speechless  :embarrassed:

No Cents

here is a question for those of you that might be interested in giving me an answer?

The guy that welded up my Burns pipe together for me...wanted to know today if there is a market for a pipe like mine?
He's curious...and he is wanting us to maybe make a few more.  :nix:  This guy knows nothing about Harleys other than they have two wheels...but he is a heck of a stainless steel welder/ fabricator by trade.
I told him I didn't think that there would be a lot of people interested in a pipe like mine...but I promised him I would ask for opinions.

Tq Monster

Count me as a future customer! I've been following this whole thread and its been one hell of a RIDE thanks for sharing
"With God all things are possible"

kd

KD

jam65

TA63

Quote from: No Cents on December 02, 2013, 04:24:33 PM
here is a question for those of you that might be interested in giving me an answer?

The guy that welded up my Burns pipe together for me...wanted to know today if there is a market for a pipe like mine?
He's curious...and he is wanting us to maybe make a few more.  :nix:  This guy knows nothing about Harleys other than they have two wheels...but he is a heck of a stainless steel welder/ fabricator by trade.
I told him I didn't think that there would be a lot of people interested in a pipe like mine...but I promised him I would ask for opinions.

I would like one for a softtail.  Would it be built to my engine specs, and could it be made upswept like the softtail boarzilla?

No Cents

Quote from: jam65 on December 02, 2013, 07:21:10 PM
The answer is in the response.
yep  :agree: with you Jay...I don't see too many people saying that they would be interested in one. I guess I'll tell him I only had a few replies.
TA63...I don't have a softail to mock one up off of.

build it

In truth I'm no longer interested in the pipe for my use. You'd need several bikes for mock up. I am glad it turned out well for you nocents, stroker.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

No Cents

this was my 1st attempt at trying to make a one off prototype pipe for myself...it will never be anything else but that...one of a kind that I made.
I personally like the way it turned out...and I will proudly run it.

HighLiner

I'd be interested in one but I don't know how much different one for a '09 would be.

1931jamesw

Ray, the cat is out of the bag but what about the new thread to address the elephant in the room? You know the one I'm talking about, the new bigger pistons and the 640 cams we talked about in a recent conversation we had.  :wink: Do the specs for the pipe need to change for that or are you going to change the pipe too for the elephant build? Might ought to have an extra key cut before Darren picks those up. BTW, nice job on the pipe. It did better than I would have predicted. If you make it down this way, I'd like to take it for a spin to see if I could feel the dip. Its real hard for me to give up that bottom end TQ on the street. When I get my heads done I may have to borrow your welder fella if I can't feel that dip. I'd have been real curious to see what a Thunderheader X pipe with some tweaking on the screen would do. I have one here going on a 120R with 10 over bore, DTT custom ignition curve, heads worked, thermal barrier coatings on the slugs and CC chambers, valves and exhaust port and a CV51 carb that just got back from Wood that got the Super King 505 treatment (very impressed with that work BTW). I may send the new T Header down to be coated inside and out as well.