Just Nick

Ray when are you going to tune that beast we want sheets to drool over
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

No Cents

Quote from: groundhog144 on October 28, 2014, 07:10:51 PM
:wtf:   :pop:

I'm trying to get both barrels out  [attach=0]     :hyst:

Ray

Sham Rock...I'm waiting on groundhog144 to get his monster buttoned up so we can drop them off at Jim's at the same time.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Durwood

Quote from: No Cents on October 28, 2014, 07:24:14 PM
Quote from: groundhog144 on October 28, 2014, 07:10:51 PM
:wtf:   :pop:

I'm trying to get both barrels out  [attach=0]     :hyst:

Ray

Sham Rock...I'm waiting on groundhog144 to get his monster buttoned up so we can drop them off at Jim's at the same time.
Jim, get the bunkhouse ready, I'm staying that weekend :pop:

06roadglide

Hay Ray, I think it sounds good with the cap as long as that whistle sound is just in the phone audio.
If you want to experiment more I'd try to make something similar to what a thunderheader has at the end of the muffler. Install it over the end of your tail pipe about 1", about 1" diameter bigger, 6" long and taper down to about 2.25"-2.5".

No Cents

October 29, 2014, 02:34:49 PM #2580 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:37:16 PM by No Cents
 version II was done to the end cap today. The center hole was opened up from 1.840" to 2.100".
I installed it and took it for a little longer ride today than yesterdays 1st version end cap ride. The bike is still a lot quieter at idle and cruising speeds. I say it's still close to 50% quieter than the non end capped muffler. The throttle response didn't seem to change any from yesterdays version.
I seem to be making progress with it. I might pull it off again and take another .250" out of the center hole and see how it does.
I did make another video of it with the version II end cap if anyone is interested in hearing it.   :nix:

Ray

2006FXDCI

2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

kd

Ray,

You can send it to me if you aren't going to post it. I'm real interested in following your progress. BTW did you try some steel wool in the perimeter as a sound deadening test or did the enlarged hole pass more exhaust and silence the whistle sound I said I thought I heard.
KD

No Cents

October 29, 2014, 03:45:07 PM #2583 Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:13:19 AM by No Cents
 no more noise

biggzed

Ray - If you've got a smart phone there are several free apps that provide a dB meter. Would be an easy way to see the actual difference in the sound level with and without the end cap.

Zach

groundhog143

I changed my mind back to no end cap,loud pipe saves lives  :scoot:

76shuvlinoff

I don't care what you do to it,  that bike sounds pissed.  :up:

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

No Cents

Quote from: groundhog144 on October 29, 2014, 04:25:43 PM
:doh:
strokerjlk will make the final decision on the end cap or no end cap after he spins it on the drum.  :potstir:
Version 3 will probably be a little more louder than this version is. I've decided to open it up to 2.400" on the center hole and give that a whirl.

Mark...it's just a little tame kitty cat   :wink:

Ray

IronMike113

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on October 29, 2014, 04:26:00 PM
  I don't care what you do to it,  that bike sounds pissed.  :up:

Mark

I'm going with his vote Pissed..........  :agree:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

kd

I'll start out by saying I don't want you to think I dislike the new sound. On the version 2 video there is a perceived minor difference in sound but we're at a disadvantage listening to a recording rather than the real thing. My laptop is a gaming laptop though, so the sound is still decent.

I can still hear that funky hollow whistle (for lack of a better description). Do you hear it in real time like the sound track (or do you hear it at all). I know my ears are shot and ring from 37 years of abuse and the OL says stuff to me I never hear.  :hyst:  I again want to say that I don't think the new sound is a bad thing, but I sense you would like the "American Muscle" sound back and keep the seat of the pants performance increase you felt. Maybe the sound wave is reflecting harder back up the pipe now and improving the torque :nix: and you are on the right track. Jim's dyno will tell you that.

The original tone is so hard to beat. I like it better than the Guppy pipes I have heard recordings of, even though they are very similar in construction. Guppy's are usually a tad shorter and that may be why.  I'll bet the new capped higher tone or pitch will break ear drums and set off car alarms when you get on it and are in the top revs.  :dgust: 
KD

IronMike113

October 29, 2014, 05:18:17 PM #2590 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 05:20:55 PM by IRONMIKE113
Ray I'd just let Jim do his thing and go from there,and the sound will be the sound it is,you know what I did with my HO pipe,it is what it is sound and all........  :wink:

I think Lenght will be the key! JMO
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

kd

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on October 29, 2014, 05:18:17 PM
Ray I'd just let Jim do his thing and go from there,and the sound will be the sound it is,you know what I did with my HO pipe,it is what it is sound and all........  :wink:

I agree. It's all about performance and the sound will be different just like many other systems.  :up: 
KD

gordonr

Cool stuff Ray. It will be interesting to see how you tune your pipe out. My first experience with a semi custom exhaust was years ago with Fiac. They sent me three different muff body lengths and two diff sized venturi Id inserts that bolted in 3" from the exit. Figuring the best configuration for a build is very satisfying.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

No Cents

:agree:  gordon...I enjoy doing things like this. It keeps me out of trouble   :hyst:
Mike...one more final cut on the end cap tomorrow and I'll see how it does. I feel I'm headed in the right direction and I'm making progress with it.
I figured in the beginning that the center hole was going to be too small. I knew I could test it and I could always have smaller amounts of material removed...then re-test. I knew I couldn't add any more material back on if I needed more...that's why I started with the smaller 1.850" center hole.
What ever I end up with tomorrow after enlarging the center hole one more time...it will be going back to Jim's that way. I'm done tinkering with it. I think it's going to be close to accomplishing my goal that I set out for...once I made my mind up to attempt this experiment. I know it feels better by the butt dyno...but the truth will be told on the drum.
After tomorrows test ride on version 3...it will be left all in the hands of Jim. Then he can do his thing and find out if I wasted my time and money with this end cap project...or if it's going to be a keeper.

Ray

Ohio HD

Quote from: groundhog144 on October 29, 2014, 04:25:43 PM

:up:   Sound good too!    :teeth:

strokerjlk

Quote from: gordonr on October 29, 2014, 05:36:34 PM
Cool stuff Ray. It will be interesting to see how you tune your pipe out. My first experience with a semi custom exhaust was years ago with Fiac. They sent me three different muff body lengths and two diff sized venturi Id inserts that bolted in 3" from the exit. Figuring the best configuration for a build is very satisfying.
If you ever get your hands on a FIAC pipe for a bagger, I am interested .
Can't remember his name . But I spoke to him once . He was driving a limo . or owns a limo service now . Or something like that ( its been 5-6 years ago ). anyway He couldn't be coaxed to make me a pipe .  :banghead:
I have only tuned one .(  Softail model on a 95 hemi motor.)
Nice pipe . Do you have any data on the pipe at speed ?
I have always wondered what happened to the state of tune at road speeds .( does it lean out much)

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

gordonr

Quote from: strokerjlk on October 29, 2014, 07:46:35 PM
Quote from: gordonr on October 29, 2014, 05:36:34 PM
If you ever get your hands on a FIAC pipe for a bagger, I am interested .
Can't remember his name . But I spoke to him once . He was driving a limo . or owns a limo service now . Or something like that ( its been 5-6 years ago ). anyway He couldn't be coaxed to make me a pipe .  :banghead:
I have only tuned one .(  Softail model on a 95 hemi motor.)
Nice pipe . Do you have any data on the pipe at speed ?
I have always wondered what happened to the state of tune at road speeds .( does it lean out much)

The actual maker of those pipes is "CustomCraft" www.customcraftheaders.com. Jeffs site was or is www.faic.cc.  Jim, sending you a pm.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

Smarty

Ray, I love the pipe and the original sound. Have you ever thought of getting the end cap where you want it for torque and hp for the race track and then take it off for everyday riding for the growl that you and so many of us love. You then have the best of both worlds. JMO

PS. I love how you go about working on your bike and share with the rest of us dreamers.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

Buffalo

Definitely hear a difference in the volume, but off throttle sounds like a turbo spooling down or blowing off the boost valve. Or maybe a Jake brake!! 
Sorry to sound so negative, but it just sounds weird to me.
I built a 5" long extension for a Pro pipe several years ago. Main purpose was to get the sound out from under the saddlebag and behind the bike. I added a small 3/4" deep baffle inside the exit side with a 2 3/4" exit hole. I used the original 2 1/2 baffle from V&H inside rear and packing from a Dyna muffler for both.
Not only did it reduce the sound for touring substantially, it still has a serious growl when standing on it!  Tests showed between stock V&H baffle system and my setup, it actually gained 2.4 hp and 2 ft/lbs of torque! Very easy on the ears while putting, still has a good strong idle sound. A win, win in my book. I have not been stopped or checked for sound since the install in 07. The stock V&H, even when new, set off car alarms while putting thru streets, this does not do that. fwiw Buffalo

No Cents

I had the center hole in the end cap opened up from 2.100" to 2.400" today and I installed it when I got home.
This was by far the best sounding of the three versions to me so far. I took it out for a ride and the bike at cruising speeds is around 25% quieter and about the same percentage quieter at idle vs the open muffler. It has a more deeper raspier sound to it now than the 1st two versions...with most of the whistling sound kd was talking about hearing almost eliminated.
It will be up to Jim now to find out if it actually works of not.

Ray