May 12, 2024, 01:39:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

124" build...I'll let the cat out of the bag

Started by No Cents, July 07, 2013, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndmp40

Quote from: Eglider05 on July 14, 2015, 09:26:38 AM
You will need to do a little work to it if you want to keep your stock light. The 07-08 RK CVO fender has holes for the tombstone style light.

Rick

Any decent body guy can fill it in.  I used a stock light on mine after patching and metal finishing.  Not a big deal.

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

Eglider05

Quote from: ndmp40 on July 14, 2015, 04:52:02 PM
Quote from: Eglider05 on July 14, 2015, 09:26:38 AM
You will need to do a little work to it if you want to keep your stock light. The 07-08 RK CVO fender has holes for the tombstone style light.

Rick

Any decent body guy can fill it in.  I used a stock light on mine after patching and metal finishing.  Not a big deal.

Yep, lots of ways to skin that cat. I saw a post on another forum where a guy split an 09 fender, added a filler to get the width needed. It came out looking pretty darn nice. A fair amount of work but a very cheap way to go if you have the talent to do it.  In fact I have an 09 project fender I was going to do this with but decided to go a different route with the NCB fender.

Rick

JohnCA58

Even easier to scallop the sides of the later fender to fit the width of the older frame,  less work and works out great  the 180 fits with lots of room.

YOLO

Eglider05

Quote from: JohnCA58 on July 15, 2015, 12:52:32 PM
Even easier to scallop the sides of the later fender to fit the width of the older frame,  less work and works out great  the 180 fits with lots of room.

Man it sucks to getting old. With all of the back and forth PM's between us when I was doing mine I completely forgot about the way you did yours. It's actually a much better way IMHO. My situation at the time was I was working so much OT I said screw it and took the easy way out ($$).

Rick

No Cents

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 15, 2015, 07:17:55 AM
Any word on what the 640's did?

It ended up losing 2hp and 3tq with the S&S 640's vs the old CR651's.

[attach=0]
Red is the CR651's
Blue is the S&S 640's

Ray

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

kd

:up: :up: That's peanuts and could be the conditions of the day. It's one smokin 124. Hopefully you're happy and you now have the benefit of a more quiet valve train and less valve lift stress. I'd say the recent head and TB work was a success too. Time to put some miles on now Ray. Got any vacation days coming?   :teeth:
KD

No Cents

I can live with it KD. It actually had the thicker 10w60 Liqui Moly oil in it this time at Jim's vs the VR1 50wt when it was tuned the trip before. That might of made a hp or two difference with the thicker oil.  :nix:  I do know the valve train was quieter this time when I dropped it off at Jim's...so that made me a lot happier. Beings I have the map of the CR651's being tuned with this new head and t/body combo...I might slip the CR651's back in at the end of the riding season to see if the valve train stays as quiet as it is now.
My next vacation week is the 1st full week of August. I always take that week so if the chance arises to go to Sturgis...I have it saved.
I'm not going again this year...so I hope to just load the bags up with a few pairs of jeans and t-shirts...and put it in the wind for 4- 5 days. No super slabs...just all back roads seeing small town USA.

Ray

hrdtail78

Proves that your exhaust is dominating the curve and the 640 isn't soft on the bottom.   Thanks for posting.  Bad ass bike.
Semper Fi

pwmorris

Quote from: kd on July 16, 2015, 05:33:14 PM
:up: :up: That's peanuts and could be the conditions of the day. It's one smokin 124. Hopefully you're happy and you now have the benefit of a more quiet valve train and less valve lift stress. I'd say the recent head and TB work was a success too. Time to put some miles on now Ray. Got any vacation days coming?   :teeth:
Damn straight-
Most guys would die for a legit, reliable 150 plus square, and you have even more.
This is perfect for a street killer, max bagger street build and is probably faster than 95% of any of the Harleys anywhere in the USA. NO Harley should be able to touch you in your town on the street ...(well maybe that 143.. Lol...).
This might be the time you really decide what kind of bike you want this to be....as it's not yet fast enough for a bagger class track winner (mid 10's or better And I'm guessing they are making close to 200 hp). Or course, the winning bagger bikes are dedicated RACE bikes, brought to the track on a trailer, then raced, then back to the shop for some wrenching.
The street forces you to compromise- with reliability, fuel, comfort, and other issues and I see your bike as a great hot street bagger build, that can go anywhere, anytime, and is fast as hell and smooth as silk-

No Cents

thanks Jason and Paul.  :up:
The pipe is definitely dictating the curve...and changes will have to be made in that area if the quest for more power is pursued.
I'm going after it Saturday and I will ride it like it is for the rest of the season.
I've missed a good part of riding time already this year.
It's definitely not in the same class as the top competitors in the bagger class...that's for sure.
I'll take a step back and enjoy it how it is for awhile before concentrating on what I'll need to do to try to take it to the next level to be on the same playing field with those guys.

Ray

jam65

What specs did you give Burns on the design of your pipe as far as rpm parameters is concerned?

harleytuner

Looks good. How'd the clutch do this go around?

No Cents

Chad...I don't know this go around. I haven't talked to Jim about it.
Jay here is what I went off of. I told them I want power between 3K to 6500 rpm's.

[attach=0]

Ray

pwmorris

I'm sure that sucker grabbed immediately with those springs in it.
As I said on the first go round, the initial slipping clutch on the other pulls IMO didn't have a bearing on the final max numbers.
Once that sucker locks up, even at 4,500, it's locked up for good,  the motor pulls to redline and from my experience, the final power numbers are similar. Lower, street cruising numbers from 3-4 grand will probably be less but it can actually be a benefit- Keeping your rear wheel planted and your front wheel on the ground. Too much torque is not your friend downstairs...

harleytuner

I may be mistaken but I thought the springs arrived after the bike went to the dyno?

gordonr

Ray can you lay your old head setup with the 662-2's and the burns pipe sheet with the new ones?
"If was easy everyone would do it"

JohnCA58

You got the right idea Ray,  go out and enjoy what is left of the riding season on the back roads of America   :up: :up: 

great power and quiet to boot.
YOLO

No Cents

July 16, 2015, 07:04:02 PM #3743 Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:08:48 PM by No Cents
Quote from: gordonr on July 16, 2015, 06:36:59 PM
Ray can you lay your old head setup with the 662-2's and the burns pipe sheet with the new ones?
pretty much so Gordon.
The curves are very similar with every dyno sheet I have with my Burns pipe...except for the latest graphs with the end cap in it where the tq came in a little sooner...but they are almost identical curves thru 4,000 rpm's to the end of the pulls. My old Zilla was a different curve all together.

[attach=0]
Blue is the Zilla with the 662-2 cams
Red is the Burns pipe with the 662-2 cams
This was before I made the end cap for the Burns.

Ray

jam65

Quote from: No Cents on July 16, 2015, 06:19:20 PM
Chad...I don't know this go around. I haven't talked to Jim about it.
Jay here is what I went off of. I told them I want power between 3K to 6500 rpm's.

[attach=0]

Ray
Ask Vince what the pipe sizes and steps would be for a 4500 to 6500 operating range and compare. As you know, when you want it all there are no short cuts.

No Cents

Jay...I've got this option for a pipe to make if I want to make all the power up there in the higher rpm's.

[attach=0]

Ray

strokerjlk

Nice quiet engine this time Ray .
The 640 is a lot tamer than the -2 and the 651 at cruise and parking lot speeds .I think you are gonna like it in that respect .
Looking forward to you next exhaust phase if/ when you decide to pull it on out it Rpm's .
This engine has a lot more hp in it , with a pipe that will let it pull some more rpms .

Just so there is no confusion about the AMRA dresser class.
All the dressers are street legal and street ridden .
This is from someone who actually runs the class and knows all the riders .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

FLTRI

Quote from: No Cents on July 16, 2015, 07:04:02 PM
[attach=0]
Ray,
What the heck happened to the power with the Zilla @4500 rpms? Looks like a timing or fuel change?
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Buffalo

I think the 640 are showing very nice results, the differenc in humidity could easily be 2 hp/3t on any given day! It is still a beast, but a happier beast. Now go out and enjoy tearing off the rear tire(s) hehe.
  You have definitely earned the right to enjoy the new found quiet power (relatively speaking).
Years ago I built a 5" extension on my Propipe, mainly to get the outlet from under the saddlebag. God it echoed!! Inside that extension I made a 3/4" ring type baffle like the one in the propipe. I was really surprised to see it add 2.5 hp, and 2t over a stock baffle all the way thru the rpm, while reducing noise by 5 decibels at wot.
It also made it very mellow at cruise. I left it that way for the last 6 yrs. I was wondering in my mind what an extension would or wouldn't do on your system, other than carry the sound further back. Buffalo

strokerjlk

This is the -2 and 651's  with old heads ,  651 and 640 with new heads all on one graph .

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory