April 27, 2024, 10:49:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Well Damn it! I did it again.

Started by easyricer, February 19, 2009, 09:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easyricer

I just got my 83 sold like what?....... Last month? I done tripped over another one that I just had to have. An old buddy of mine called me up on Monday (right after H&R Block got off the phone with me) asking me how much I'd offer him for his Shovel. (he got into a pickle)
Anyhow I've been his mechanic now for 10 years and I know that I'm the only one who's turned a wrench on this poor old bike in most of that time. The bike only looks sad. Really she's a stout runner and was a daily rider for many years. Last July I worked on it. Replaced the cables, new front mastercylinder, new battery, rebuilt the old S&S super E, and rewired the whole bike from front to back. When I dropped it off at his house, that was the last time it was run.
SO that's a lil history on the ol gal. She's a 1976 Bicentennial Electraglide. He's had her since new in late 75. He stripped her down some time in the 80's but kept all of the stock parts put away. So I'm getting all of the take offs that she left the factory with. If I remember right she only got about 5000 miles on a fresh top end, 3 years ago. (speedo needle broke off 2 years ago)
I'm gonna keep all the stock parts but she's gonna stay pretty well stripped. I'm going to install the pogo seat and the saddle bags but put the rest away. I'm also going to reinstall the factory cross-over exhaust system. (with fish tails of course)
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

70weight

Congrats- nice old scooter. Still has the origional paint like my 76 does.
Good luck with her.
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

pappyfreebird

well see how ya r!,,id say noice score myself..

dave_9113

Sorry to hear about his lost, but it's going to a good owner. 

Why'd you sell the old shovel?

dave

easyricer

OK update to the last post. I screwed up on the date I worked on it last. Was July o7 not last Jul. A buddy of mine reminded me of it, since he has the fairing and was waiting on the rest of the bike to paint it. SO it's been sittin outside for a year and a half not a half a year.
ANYWAYs, the primary is froze on it. CHain is rusted solid. NOt sure how that happened but not a big issue. I got another one. SLows things down just a bit but still nothing major. I talked to a buddy who has a metal fab shop, he said I can use his place to "restore it" Gotta tear it completely down sand blast the frame, sheetmetal and a bunch of other rusted and otherwise corroded parts and paint them right there. We can also refresh the motor a bit while we're at it. The last Shovel sat in a barn for 10 years and started on the first try. SO this one ain't quite as easy as that one but, it's doable.
EASY

easyricer

We loaded the bike up today to take it to my buddies house where I'm gonna tear it down, sandblast, paint and rebuild it. Not real long after the bike left some of the rest of the bike showed up. It's just one trunk load since the cat I bought it from don't own a truck.

EASY

pappyfreebird

well keep the pix a commin as ya go easy

easyricer

That's the plan Pappy. I'll be needin ya'lls help along the way.
EASY