May 05, 2024, 03:14:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

softail shocks

Started by hbkeith, February 20, 2009, 05:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

looking for shocks for a 86 FXST i picked up,wana lower rear about a inch.i know every company says theres is the best,wandering what guys have used and been happy with,the bike had a older pair of progressive non adjustable height shocks on it,looking for a set that is easelly adjustable ( height , and ride) and still give a GOOD ride

tinkerman

Hey hbkeith,

I couldn't get a solid answer if there was a set of Progressive shocks for my 88 Heritage so I went with a set of Works. I wasn't interested in lowering the bike but I am pretty sure these Works shocks are adjustable. No air adjustment on them though. I haven't had a chance to compare them with a "progressive ride" but compared to the original suspension (which was getting way old) it was one of the best improvements I have made to my Heritage. Brand new ride in the back end. I have no problem reccomending the works shock. (only one season so far so no idea about durability, just ride quality)

The front end is on the todo list now....after I get the engine top end finished and the starter upgraded. Might be a good job for next winter. :wtf:

Oh well....what do I expect....20 years old...gotta keep it current.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

hbkeith

thanks tinkerman, no one else running custom shocks?

IBARider

I recently installed the adjustable Works after my stock ones blew out.  I have them set at stock height for now and like the ride.  One thing I like about em is you can get rebuild kits.....
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

Evorider

Tinkerman -

Have you had a long ride on the works shocks?  I'm looking at replacing my old 95 oem's. I'll ride apx 500-600 miles in a day and want a shock thats gonna keep it comfortable on my 95 FLSTN.

Thanks............E

Jimbo

jus recently fitted up a set of used Fournales airs i scored off ebay......so far they'r workin a treat...no more bottoming out like th stock set....n still lowered to th height i like.....very expensive new tho

paulkay

Progressive has a set that will play with length and adjust ride but 86 softail is set up for odd length on shocks. Think the shock length or mount switched in 89? Do not know if shocks will work.

tinkerman

Hey Evo Rider,

I haven't had these shocks out across the country yet but did get in a couple weekend jaunts last year. No 500 mile days though, just a few two day runs...maybe 250 - 300 miles max per day. Haven't really run these things enough to get a handle on durability but man oh man when she hits a hard "yes ma'am" or a pot hole is it ever a pleasure to hit the bottom of the travel softly rather than hitting bottom like a hammer and looking in the mirror to see what might have fallen or broken off.

That's not much of an exageration, the old suspension which was way past due was hard on my nerves, my back, my ass and the bike frame. These Works are such an improvement it puts a smile on my face when I hit something unexpected. I automatically wince and then remember that all is well in the back end for now. Again, not sure how they compare to other aftermarket shocks (price is about the same) but in the short run I am very pleased with them.

Tinkerman

Evorider

Thanks for the reply. I'll have a hard look at them. My oems are done and so is my back...........E

hbkeith

anyone no excatly what the difference between the 84-88 & 89-99 softail shocks is ?, i no my 86 originaly had shocks with seperate reservoirs,other than that?

tinkerman

I don't have a for sure answer to your question HBkeith. That was what caused the confusion for me with regard to Progressive shocks. In some cases the same part number shock would be OKed for my 88 Heritage by one supplier and in other cases they would not.

I do know that when I installed the Works I had to turn one of the transmission mounting bolts (left rear) around. ie. It was pointed down through the tranny and into the frame with the nut on the bottom and some of the bolt showing below the nut. Turning it around put the head of the nut under the frame which provides the clearance for the Works shocks. My 88 had the remote reservoirs as well....bit of a chore to get everything unbolted and you kinda need to do the experimental weave to get the hoses and reservoirs out between the frame and everything else the softail has squirelled away down there. Not an impossible job....just a little time consuming. My big hands are likley the biggest part of the problem.

Good luck with it,

Tink

Blazing Saddles

I've used the Progressive units on my '92 FXSTC for the past 13 years with great performance and no problems.  Considering the number of trips I've done two up and loaded I can say they've really done a good job.  One thing to consider as well is to replace your swing arm bearings and change out your old style wheel bearings to sealed bearings. I did that plus the neck bearings a few years ago and the ride and control was considerably better.

Blazin'

Evo160K

Jimbo,
Are you able to comment further on your Fournales shocks and the air settings?  Which model do you have?  I hear they're outstanding.  I have a set but haven't installed them.  My stock Harley lowering shocks work so well for my weight and style.  190 lb for me, 130 lb for the wife and 115 lb for loaded t-bags and saddlebags. 

Jimbo

Quote from: Evo160K on March 04, 2009, 05:35:07 PM
Jimbo,
Are you able to comment further on your Fournales shocks and the air settings?  Which model do you have?  I hear they're outstanding.  I have a set but haven't installed them.  My stock Harley lowering shocks work so well for my weight and style.  190 lb for me, 130 lb for the wife and 115 lb for loaded t-bags and saddlebags. 
yeah matey, real happy with th Fournales (Pan Cruise for th Fatty Softail)...very exe new here in Oz...i think bout $1600+...scored mine off US ebay for $280 a while back when our dollar was worth a penny or 2 against th US$..not sure if u have a pump capable of th high pressures needed...a Fournales pump costs an arm n a leg also....but i bought a mini pump from a online cycle shop that is capable of 400psi...lol, bit of a workout gettin up to th pressures needed, but works a treat other than i have to get a quick release for it cause its very easy to lose valuable pressure in these high pressure/low volume shocks when unscrewing from th valves....I am bout th same weight as u...but i dont normally go 2 up...& theres not much other carry weight when i often thro th Swag across th rear fender when travellin...below is instructions for evo pan cruise shocks to give u ballpark pressures tho i think i ended up somewhere round 300/175 psi between valves (u will find altering P1 from th recommended 365psi will alter recommended P2 pressures for lowering) ...also a link to give u an idea of th cycle pump (i only paid $32Aus tho), th 400psi unit is near bottom of that page...
hope some of this helps...even if u'r scoots not a Softail
cheers Jimbo
http://www.chopperresource.co.uk/my_uploads/ancillary/fournales2.pdf
http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category65_1.htm

Evo160K

Jimbo,
Thanks for your feedback and the spec sheets.  I have one of those 400 psi cycle pumps also a nitrogen bottle with regulator and a quick release.  I'm anxious to try the shocks, but since the H-D lowering shocks do the job well, I'm a bit reluctant to try them.  Thanks again. Jimbo.

92Fatty

400 psi  :smileo:  I guess my hand pump won't work. I'd like a set of Fournales. My 92 with the lowering kit isn't friendly on the bumps, but on long rides the Corbin takes up for it.

Evo160K

92Fatty,

There is a 400 psi hand pump, would you believe.  Here's the one that I use.  Unbelievable quality, especially for the money.  Works well.  I bought a second one, just in case.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16246-318_SET357-3-Parts-59-Forks/Accessories/Sette-Air-2-ST-35-Universal-Shock-Pump.htm

2high

The 84-88 shock bodies are 1 inch shorter than the 89 and later. You can mount the later year shocks on the early softails because the eye to eye points are the same length,but with the bodies being 1 inch longer you lose 1 inch of suspension travel because the shock will hit the transmission mount.I have tried the progressive 422 on my 1988 softail and they bottom out real bad because of the less suspension travel so I had to take them off.
One might be able to put a small diameter shock on the early softail as those might be able to avoid hitting the transmission mount.
Hope this helps