May 10, 2024, 12:08:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Timing the '63

Started by 60pan, July 10, 2013, 09:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60pan

Can a single points, dual fire, auto advance, circuit breaker be used in a 63 instead of the dual points setup? I thought the obvious answer was yes but then I started thinking, why are there 2 different advance marks on the flywheel? It seems like it will be firing on the front advance mark on every rev. Thanks in advance to the Pan gurus.

twincamzz

yes...no problems as I'm doing the same thing on my '61 which originally came with the dual points set-up.
not all who wander are lost...

60pan

Thanks Twin. But I'm still curious. If there is a different timing mark for the rear cyl. wouldn't it be firing at the front mark on each rev and therefore at the wrong time for the rear?

Ohio HD

No, the distributer controls the separation of the cylinder timing. Time the front, the rear is then controlled that setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kd

Here's the neat part. If the shaft is broached with a square drive hole (and it likely is), you can run a Sportster tach drive with a small tach on your bars or similar mount. You'll like the auto advance all around operation.
KD

Deye76

"'61 which originally came with the dual points set-up."

Dual points were always a pain the arse, everyone changed 'em to single.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

twincamzz

Quote from: Deye76 on July 16, 2013, 04:52:15 AM
"'61 which originally came with the dual points set-up."

Dual points were always a pain the arse, everyone changed 'em to single.

no chit. The flywheels in my motor aren't even marked for the rear cylinder timing anyways. lol.
not all who wander are lost...

48pan

I put a dual point distributor in my pan about 35 years ago & wouldn't change it back. I just use a zig zag to time the front one and gap the rear one right and it starts on the first kick when it's warm 99% of the time. When it's cold 3 prime kicks and almost always starts on the 1st or 2nd kick.
She's a good Pan

Tsani

In the 30 plus years I have owned my 61, I have ran the dual point distributor with no issues what so ever. Easy as heck to time even out on the road. You just need a timing gage which you can easily make or buy a generic one or use a HD tool of which I happen to own three of. And a light bulb with wires soldered on and thats it. Once set, reliable 3 kickprime one kick start when cold and one kick all day after that. Yeah. I was going to change it till an oldtimer gave good reasons not to and then told me how to set it up. Piece of cake.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Reddog74usa

Yep if you set up the dual points timer they work very well. My bike ran great with the dual points. Take the time set it up and you will be a happy camper fer sher  :bike:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Deye76

Quote from: 48pan on October 10, 2013, 12:06:25 PM
I put a dual point distributor in my pan about 35 years ago & wouldn't change it back. I just use a zig zag to time the front one and gap the rear one right and it starts on the first kick when it's warm 99% of the time. When it's cold 3 prime kicks and almost always starts on the 1st or 2nd kick.
She's a good Pan
When you say "right" what is it? You gap'g it the same as the front?

"always starts on the 1st or 2nd kick."
You still running a Linkert?
I agree they run good, but Reddog is right about "taking the time", why we changed 'em out.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP