April 28, 2024, 08:23:32 AM

News:

Tank sealer

Started by gary11623, February 20, 2009, 01:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary11623

Hi,bought a new set of tanks from jireh and had them powder coated, turned out real nice,should I seal the insides? If so what brand of sealer. Never used any of the stuff before,don't no if its a good idea or not.     As always thanks for your input

HDdude5

Being that you've already had them coated, I'd say you have 3 choices.

1. Run em'
2. Take them to a radiator shop and have them pressure tested, praying they don't wreck your powder coat.
3. Seal them with "Red Kote", nothing else is as good.......
Bill

catmcaw

If there is no rust inside I would just run them unsealed.

70weight

Second the Por 15. Used it several years ago to stop a leak in my 76 FLH. Worked great and doesn't flake or peel off.
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

Pzokes

Don't buy Kreem sealer.  It will peel off in chunks.

I've used Por-15 before with good luck.  I've also used it to seal small leaks.

The gasoline quality is constantly changing.  What worked yesterday may not work tomorrow. Sealer that works on the east coast may not work in the central states with the higher ratio of ethanol in the gasoline.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

Hybredhog

The red kote is great chit, and you do want to use something before you put gas in them, as air & a half tank of gas over the winter WILL make it rust.  The trick now since you've already painted them is to pre clean them with acccetone, and roll the coating around inside & pouring out the excess without getting any on the paint. Put some wire up though the crossover & vent nipples before coating first, to keep them from plugging, and after curing is done heat the exposed wire very hot with a torch to "cotterize" the hole as you pull the wire out....Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

pappyfreebird

id run em ,,,keep em full when stored,,,ain had no prolems,,,since quit usin kreem

fulldress79

When I ran my 'CH (which had a raw tank inside, from the factory) I 'd dump some Mystery Oil in it once and a while.The tank stayed nice,even in this crappy (New England) climate.

fergy1940

:teeth: I 3rd the POR 15 good stuff.
Fergy
I'm bored.

Geoff1200

Quote from: Pzokes on February 21, 2009, 07:05:44 AM
Don't buy Kreem sealer.  It will peel off in chunks.

I've used Por-15 before with good luck.  I've also used it to seal small leaks.
Yah...What he said...

d-dog

I've put a lot of new tanks on my various bikes, and the only ones I've ever had a problem with, were those that were sealed.  As Pappy says - run em and store em full.
Dog

biker3r

Ive used kreem several times and never had a problem, if ya follow the instructions to the tee, and have patience it works good, a good sealed tank beats the hell outta a rusty one.