May 05, 2024, 06:20:18 AM

News:

80 sportster

Started by nw69fl, July 18, 2013, 08:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nw69fl

Can  the engine be completely assembled before installing it into the frame on a 1980 sporty? If not, how much of it can be assembled? Thanks

Wicked

Yes. All of it. I do leave the 2 front mount plates off till the motor is square in the frame with the 4 rear bolts started. Motor supported from below of coures....

garyajaz

i dont install complete engine into frame.
its much easier to put completed engine its side on milk crate.
pick up much lightr frame and put it over powerplant.
even easier with forks off (and of course both wheels)

saltcaveminer

the frame is usually defined as the bare metal section without front or rear wheels and components.the frame would be laid over the complete engine laying on its side.it is doable to install an engine into a full upright  frame.just takes some extra hands  and patience.Salty :hug:

nibroc

if yer pushin near 70, ya need some extra hands and some strong arms--stout back wouldn't hurt!! :chop:

nucklhead13

Yes that can get done. It is just that last winter I worked to get rid of oil leaks. That made me take the valve covers off. One thing about that is the frame gets tight over the rear valve cover. One must take the rear head off. It seams easier to me to do that kind of work with the engine allready in the frame.