April 27, 2024, 01:00:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Left Inverted Fork Clicking

Started by rbabos, July 22, 2013, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

My 2013 DX has the inverted forks. Left is used for compression loads and the right used for rebound. First few miles in the little bumps barely noticable it has a clicking sound in the left fork. As the day goes on and oil is distributed around the innards the clicking pretty much vanishes. Don't think it's valving sounds but could be wrong. Sounds more like some mini clearance within some component and oil moves in eventually to take up the slack and quiets it. Anyone have an idea what the cause of this is?
Ron

88b

I know it's as good as new but I'd change the fork oil. I don't think I've seen a Harley yet with the right amount of oil in the forks

rbabos

Quote from: 88b on August 16, 2013, 01:30:57 AM
I know it's as good as new but I'd change the fork oil. I don't think I've seen a Harley yet with the right amount of oil in the forks
You could be right. Softail was but don't mean these are.  Didn't realize what a pain inverted are to work on compared to standard forks. In the winter I will most likely service both with some new fluid and correct amounts. The clicky seems to only happen once or twice when I first start rolling with the bike on my bumpy lawn and gone the rest of the day. Will investigate during the long winter. Need to whip up some servicing tools on these suckers. I miss not being in the machine/fab shop when it comes to this kind of thing.
Ron

88b

I'm looking at doing my Buell that looks a pita to do. My RG has the cartridge fork I just took the advice of a few on here and drained and refilled with the correct amounts  :teeth: that made a big difference .