Update: Help me identify what year EVO motor this is please...

Started by 05FLHTC, July 26, 2013, 07:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05FLHTC

Friend of a friends bike.

Serial # stamped on the motor is "AB02P1007".  The owner states this EVO motor is not the OEM that came in the bike.

I was thinking maybe it's a 1993 or 1994, but today the owner told me he thinks it's vented out the case... He's gonna confirm that for me & I'll report back.

TIA
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

ScottFree

Are you certain you copied the engine number correctly? It does not seem to match the "Abbreviated VIN" format in my manuals. According to manuals, the number on the engine is supposed to have the following form: two-letter model designation, one-letter engine type designation ("L"=Evo), one-letter year designation (1990=L, 91=M, 92=N, 93=P, 94=R--no "O" or "Q," probably to avoid confusion with zero), and six digit sequential production number, for a total of ten characters. The identifer you report is only nine characters and lacks the "L" to denote an Evo motor. Stranger yet, the opening "AB" model designation matches a chain-drive FLH (four-speed, rigid mount?) police model! And while my books only go up through the '90 model year, other online sources indicate this format was in use at least through '92. So, assuming it's copied correctly, this number doesn't seem... right.

FSG

Quote......  this number doesn't seem... right. 

and that's because it's not, it should be something similar to,

BKLP123456

koko3052

05FLHTC

JBarrettB

Have him look for the Capitol Drive number. 10 digits on the left side of the engine case down low at the front of the primary.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

05FLHTC

05FLHTC

Top end 92-99, bottom end 91 or older.

The Serial # AB02P1007 is off the bottom end.

Has both breathers, heads and on the case, yikers!  :doh:

When it pukes, it does it out the case vent. Breathers on the heads likely ain't even functioning.  The top appears to be from a newer motor.

Powerglides

You can run both sets of breathers, if done correctly.
Since this is a mix and match, I wonder if it has the later cam cover? This wont work with the crankcase breather, and will cause a lot of oil carryover.
Boz

xlfan

Is there any indication that the cases could be aftermarket? Like  e.g. Sputhe or S&S?

xlfan

JBarrettB

CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

05FLHTC

Aftermarket cases is a strong possibility.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated!