April 28, 2024, 06:39:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

intake manifold is crooked

Started by vern, February 21, 2009, 09:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

my intake manifold does not line up with the heads properly. i'm going to pop of my heads and realine them. has any one done this, will it work?

Hybredhog

once the motors been ran, and you do that, you need new head gaskets...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

vern

thanks jeff. i'm replacing the head gaskets and the push rod seals with blue seals if i can find them.

wfolarry

Quote from: vern on February 21, 2009, 09:25:51 AM
my intake manifold does not line up with the heads properly. i'm going to pop of my heads and realine them. has any one done this, will it work?

Yes. In fact it's recommended you do it like that.

randallwhitman

Sounds to me like something is screwed up.  What did you do differently when you reassembled the motor?  A properly bolted together motor will reassemble just fine.  Different height gaskets?  There's not enough "play" in all the parts to cause a misalignment.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

76shuvlinoff

Randy,
From what I've seen you can twist the heads clockwise or counter clockwise just enough so the flats on the manifold are not square with the heads.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

randallwhitman

I have O ring heads, and maybe they're more forgiving?  I've had them off a zillion times, and have never had an alignment problem.  But, I have Axtell jugs.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

vern

hey guys thanks for the imput, it all comes back like in a dream, my fault. when i bought my FXE it had a super B on it and didn't run right i replaced the carb and aligned the manifold and tightned it down again same chit, turns out i had a O ring manifold instead of a band manifold. everything is tight now. thanks vern

76shuvlinoff

O rings here too, seems I alway had leaks with bands. I tried bands on an O ring assembly, not successful.
  I don't know that it's critical that the surfaces be parallel, but if you have the heads off it doesn't hurt.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Pzokes

Go down to a drafting supply and get a small plastic angle template and use that to align the intake ports. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.