May 02, 2024, 06:06:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

44 mm carb

Started by Evo1, February 22, 2009, 06:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evo1

I was at a dealer the other day talking about cam choices for my 90 flhtc. He recommended a 44 mm carb saying that I would gain about as much extra performance with the carb as I would with the cam. I'm not sure I believe him! My thinking on the matter is that the larger carb would flow more air but only at high RPMs. I would think that at 65 mph both carbs will allow the same amount of air based on the needs of the engine. Am I wrong?

Steve

hardtail84

Dealers nuts, get a cam.
It'll fit, just hit it harder!

fxr4mikey

I'm not a brain surgeon, and I did not stay at the Holiday Inn last night ..... but, IMO, there is NO CARB that will give you as much, or more, bump in your levis than installing a new bolt in cam .... just ain't gonna happen..... and 44MM carb   ?   That's big... you need a pretty big engine to take that .....
80" EVO - FXR4
SE Heads w/Adj pushrods
.030 HG Wood W6 Cam HSR42 Carb

Hillside Motorcycle

You OEM CV carb will do anything you want that engine to do in your application.
Do not let that guy insult your intelligence, with that bunch of BS.
Multitude of good bolt-in cams out there.
Do your homework, and you'll be happy you did.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JohnS_Rosamond

When I upgraded to the 89 inch S&S, an engine builder told me that my 40mm CV wouldn't be able to feed the engine (even though the cam was pretty mild).  So I bought a bigger carb.  The bike ran poorly and I couldn't any gas mileage.  So I went back to the 40mm CV, and guess what?  The bike runs perfect and I only needed a little upgrade on the main jet.  I believe that your thinking on the larger carb is correct: for full throttle drag racing a larger throat carb would be great.  For touring or around town, not so good.

L-

Dealers can get like friends.  Sometimes you need new ones.

Hillside Motorcycle

The 44 is a good carb, but better suited for 95"-96" T/C's that have been modified.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

takwolf

Like so many "fixes" these days, people think that going bigger is the answer to more performance, ie. bigger main jet, bigger carb. A good mechanic doesn't just bolt things on, they make all parts, such as carb, cam, exhaust, work together and transition smoothly from one step to another.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

hotbo

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on February 22, 2009, 08:21:52 AM
You OEM CV carb will do anything you want that engine to do in your application.
Do not let that guy insult your intelligence, with that bunch of BS.
Multitude of good bolt-in cams out there.
Do your homework, and you'll be happy you did.
Scott

couldnt have said it better  :up: the 44 is to big imo for your bike,the cv40 is a good carb and have done a few with 80 plus on both sides with the stock carb re-jetted.good luck and lots of good bolt-in grinds out there.  :wink:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

Evo1

I agree with all of you concerning the carb. What the dealer said to me made no sense at all. But on the outside chance that there was something I was over looking, I thought I'd see what the rest of you thought.

Steve