May 02, 2024, 12:24:54 AM

News:

m6

Started by crazylore, February 22, 2009, 07:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazylore

I am thinking about putting an M6 Tensioner on my 96FLST would like to hear anyones comments on them
04FLSTFI 95" TW 44 cams

darrelbarrows

Do a search there are tons of topics on this..From what i have gathered everyone who uses them like them.

96FLSTF

I got at least 50,000 miles on the M6 I put in my 96 fatboy years ago. Never had a problem but I did hear that after some time the spring might break. I bought a new spring, stuck it in my tool box, but never got around to installing it.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

guido4198

When I bought my M6, it had a "compound spring"...2 different springs coiled over each other in the space under the shoe to maintain the tension. After something like 80,000 miles or so....I found both of theprings had broken. The really good news is that they remained in place...even though they were no longer capable of maintaining tension, rather than flying around inside the primary chaincase. I put the original chain tensioner apparatus back in,and contacted Hayden. They tell me I can buy new springs for aound 10 bucks or so, plus shipping. I haven't done it yet.

JohnS_Rosamond

While I have heard of many people running an M-6 without trouble (my father ran one for over 100,000 miles), I prefer the HB-124 because it has a stronger spring and hydraulic dampening.  Under off-throttle conditions, the M-6 can allow the primary chain to slap quite a bit.  This condition can make it so that the M-6 is pounded into the floor of the primary.  If primary chain tension is not kept up, the springs can break.

harleytoprock

With broken spring or no spring or de-accelerating the m6 will default to the set clearance of 5/8 which is what the stock tensioner is set to. What I'm saying is the m6 can get no worse than a stock set up. Where it will help only is that the spring will take up chain slack when at cruising or accelerating. So, you'll get less chain whip when cruising and less chain slap when shifting into first. Thats it. When de-accelerating the unit will do nothing for the bike that the stock set will do. I tried the HB-125 and felt the chain was way to tight all the time.

crazylore

Many Thanks for the info people :beer:
04FLSTFI 95" TW 44 cams