May 01, 2024, 08:54:03 PM

News:

94 flhtcu build underway

Started by darrelbarrows, February 22, 2009, 07:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrelbarrows

well finally the build is in process, I sent my heads out to bean should have them back in about 3 weeks, he is going to mill them and freshen them up getting me a compression bump, cylinders cleaned up nice no need to oversize, ordered about a $1500 dollars in parts. Piston rings, New gaskets all around, torrington bearing, ev-27 cam, Harley "B" lifters, adjustable push rods, baker high tourqe bearing, m6 chain tensioner, new trans pully kit, new belt, fork seals, ignition moduel, clutch parts, shift shaft and arm, some chrome do-dads, 3 new rotors and pads, rebuild kits for all the calipers, new oil lines from the trans to motor to filter, new brake master cylinder, new brake line from the master cylinder to the rear caliper, hayden oil fix kit, new horn instead of the dead cat sounding one i have had for ever. New swingarm bushings and assorted parts.
I have the bike hanging from the ceiling in the barn so that i could get underneath it to inspect it and claen it. I pulled the motor and trans out yesterday so that i could clean everything. I repainted the trans and oil/trans pan with high temp paint, cleaned inspected and repainted the swingarm. Inspected the front motor mount although i am considering just replacing it. Going to get the case cleaned up today and repainted, cleaned up the frame and repainted the spots that needed it. I need to pull the forks apart as i am going to powdercoat all the parts black. Also powdercoating the wheels black. I am sure there is something i have missed here...

I will try and get some pictures posted

darrelbarrows

gaillarry

I'm curious why you would hang the engine from the rods?  I'm jealous your shop is nice and tidy !!
1992 Heritage Softail Classic
Ontario, Canada

rdkng

Nice project !  I assume you also got a rear pulley to go with the trans pulley & new belt ?
(I'm planning on doing the swing arm bushing rebuild along with new belt and pulleys
next winter on my 1995 'king, so any tips will be appreciated)
Keep us posted & good luck.
rdkng.

Happy Motoring, Road King George

darrelbarrows

I got the trans all put back togeather not as bad as i thought it would be, I installed the new clutch plates, and wow were my other ones smoked. I took the swing arm off yesterday and took it to work to sand blast it. The only problem i found with it was some grooving where the rear wheel spacer sets. I cleaned it up and laid a beed of stainless in it with the tig welder and smoothed it out, look good as new. Used some metal prep, 3 coats of a good primer and 3 coats of epoxy paint. I should be getting my jugs and cam back tomorrow so i can paint the jugs and install the cam bearing.

kickstart

Quote from: darrelbarrows on February 23, 2009, 09:14:40 PM
I got the trans all put back togeather not as bad as i thought it would be, I installed the new clutch plates, and wow were my other ones smoked. I took the swing arm off yesterday and took it to work to sand blast it. The only problem i found with it was some grooving where the rear wheel spacer sets. I cleaned it up and laid a beed of stainless in it with the tig welder and smoothed it out, look good as new. Used some metal prep, 3 coats of a good primer and 3 coats of epoxy paint. I should be getting my jugs and cam back tomorrow so i can paint the jugs and install the cam bearing.

I replaced my rear swing arm with an 06, I know you laready started on the work , but if it;s not too latte you may want to upgrade, there is a lot to it.
Also wheter or not you change the swingarm you should get Sta-Bo's , they make one heckuva difference.
And you can also change to an 07 belt with a 66 tooth rear pulley to save 3-400 rpm's @ cruise speed.
IF the pulley will bolt to the older wheel- I think - it will
Great rebuild, good luck and yeah NICE SHOP
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

14Frisco

Quote from: kickstart on February 25, 2009, 04:05:05 AM
I replaced my rear swing arm with an 06, I know you laready started on the work , but if it;s not too latte you may want to upgrade, there is a lot to it.

Kickstart, was that on a 94 FLH?  If so, what was involved - parts- and work-wise.

kickstart

99, but they are the same
1 find a swing arm, there was one on one of the forums in the past few days, can't remember exactly. one should cost $50-100 ( if you know of a trike conversion place you can get new takeoffs $100 with axle)
2 Next find a rear wheel and a 1" axle $100 tops with rotors

3 new stlye rear brake (4 piston) caliper and pads, rotors are easy $25-75 used
4 new pivot bolt-HD-  3/4" not 5/8" as yours now is, ream through trans- can be done in bike
5 newer stlye cleve block and bushings - new from HD $$$
6 sta-bo's if you have any money left $102.00
If you can't do the sta-bo's now you can do them later. Either way your handling will vastly improve !!!!
Most everything can be found in swap meets or in forums online - everything has been out there since 2000

Now the rear is done
How about the front ?
lower legs fit right on your tubes $40-50 pair
As long as your switching out- might as well get new RaceTech Gold Seal Emulators and rebuild the front legs- they handle great and you will notice the diference- no more air
They take 1" front axle so now you need a front wheel (now you can shop for a pair)- $50-100 with rotors
Front calipers (4 piston) - $50-100 a pair tops
Bad news- your front speedo wont fit over the 1" axle- no speedo- I have been without for 2 years now.
Butt I can take my front axle out and take it to a machine shop and have the end turned down for the speedo to fit- just haven't done it yet

I like my 99 and it rides and handles great . (100,000 + miles)
I don't plan on getting a new bike , not that I don't like the 09's, just that I don't "need" a new bike and the economy sux too, so no need spending the $$
IMHO this is well spent money, you'll probably drop $1000 doing all this but you will love the upgrade.
Plus you get to sell your take off stuff Since youl never need it again.
Good luck

It's about CONTROL.

14Frisco

Thanks!

And sorry to have butted in, darrelbarrows.

Bad news- your front speedo wont fit over the 1" axle- no speedo- I have been without for 2 years now.

That won't be an issue in my case if I go this route - mine is a 94 FLHR - electronic speedo.

kickstart

Quote from: 14Frisco on February 25, 2009, 03:56:37 PM
Thanks!

And sorry to have butted in, darrelbarrows.

That won't be an issue in my case if I go this route - mine is a 94 FLHR - electronic speedo.

I wonder why they put electronic speedo's on the RK before the FLH's ?
It's about CONTROL.

14Frisco

The Road King IS an FLH...
Maybe it was first because it was a mid-year introduction - the 94 FLHR was really a 1994-1/2 - and they weren't ready with the setup for the rest of the 94 FLHs when they were introduced in latter part of 1993.