April 28, 2024, 04:04:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'79 FLH80 Starter Problem

Started by Grumpy55, August 22, 2013, 12:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy55

Just replaced the stator, rotor, regulator, starter solenoid, starter button, starter relay & 30 amp circuit breaker(had charging problem). NOW when I'm connecting the battery as soon as I touch the ground wire to the battery post the starter is spinning. However the starter solenoid does not engage and here's the kicker!! My ignition switch is in the off position and the kill switch is also in the off position. WDF??? I need help as my 45 is locked and loaded.

76shuvlinoff

On your solenoid is the long stud hooked to the battery and the short stud to the starter or did it get reversed?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Old Crow

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on August 22, 2013, 01:09:19 PM
On your solenoid is the long stud hooked to the battery and the short stud to the starter or did it get reversed?

+1  :up:  :up:
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Grumpy55

Just checked and solenoid is wired right.

billbuilds

I would advise you to check out how you wired the new starter button. There's two wires going to it: a black one that should go to the middle post on the starter relay and a short white one that should come from the kill switch on the same side that a white one comes from the bottom of the coil. In other words that short white one loops over from the kill switch to the starter button. Since you mention that the kill switch is in the off position when your starter turns I believe that something may  not be wired correctly in the handlebar switch housing. Also, are you sure that you wired our new starter relay correctly? The red wire from your 30 amp fuse at the battery should be hooked up top  the front post along with the tan wire from the one o'clock position post on your ignition switch. As mentioned earlier the middle post on the starter relay should have the black wire from the starter button hooked to it and the rear post on the starter relay should have green wire that comes from the small post on the solenoid hooked to it. You may possibly have a compound problem where something is wired incorrectly plus a wire is pinched inside the handlebar housing. I would advise you to leave the battery unhooked, borrow an ohmmeter and check the connections that I just mentioned.  HTH, Bill   
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Grumpy55

Thanks, I will be checking all today!

creeper

Death Before Dishonor!

Tobias

Creeper, I'm not sure I understand your post.

creeper

OK! Grumpy and I checked or replaced everything. Now, when we hook up the battery, It smokes, and the starter is smoking hot in a few seconds!  :wtf: What could be causing this new problem. We almost fused the bolt to the battery post!
Death Before Dishonor!

tomfiii

Check solenoid and make sure the small stud did not rotate when tightened ,because if it did the wire inside gets in the travel of the contact disc keeping solenoid engaged.