May 01, 2024, 04:34:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

95 Softail Springer

Started by ANNIEFATS, February 22, 2009, 01:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANNIEFATS

Hi all,
This is my first post in the EVO section, I took delivery of a buddies 95 springer yesterday.
I am just storing it for him for the next month or so.  He is moving and has sold it to another buddy
but he hasn't come to pick it up yet.  Put a battery charger on it this morning, and got it running this
afternoon.  80" evo, thunderheader, and I think it might have a mild cam in it.
Once warmed up(don't forget it is cold up here in Canada) it was back firing a lot when the revs are brought
up and let fall quickly.
I know nothing about carbs, my bike is fuel injection.
Where do I start trying to correct the back fire???
There is a possibility the guy who bought the bike still has to tell his wife and he won't be allowed to have it.
I have first shot, just looking out for myself, and thinking about re jetting.
Thanks in advance.
Todd
There are 10 types of people. Those who can read binary, and those who can't!

JohnS_Rosamond

Well, my first thought is: Did you have the enrichener on?  Cold air and not having the enrichener on could make the bike pop and spit when cold.  However, it could be the jetting set up also.  But before we start troubleshooting, I think that I would suggest that you warm the bike up and ride it.  After sitting for a while fuel might have dribbled into the cylinders if the fuel valve wasn't closed, or the last time it was run the bike might have been started up, throttled, then shut down (putting extra carbon into the combustion chamber).  It the bike has a vacuum petcock, that part might be defective or not working - which used to be pretty common.  So, a bunch of possibilities.

ANNIEFATS

Now that you mentioned the petcock, I know that it was changed last year due to a old recall that had to be fixed to make the safety
here in Canada. 
The enrichener was pushed in all the way once warmed up, that's when I revved it a little and it popped.  So I know it was off.
The fuel valve was shut off, I turned it on today to start it.  It did take a bit to get it to start.
It might work out that I don't get this bike, but if I do, I will definitely ride it, and see what happens when ridden.
The bike had a set of LAF's exhaust pipes last season, it backfired a lot and loud.  I thought the thunderheader would
give it more back pressure and cure some of the pops.  Again, it was just running in the garage, and not being ridden.
I guess I will have to wait.
Thanks for the response John.
Todd

sandrooney

If it is popping when you let off the gas it could be an exhaust leak. If it pops when you try to rev it it may just need to warm up. Before I re-jetted and changed the needle on my 95RK it took 15 miles, (after letting it warm up for 10 minutes) to quit popping while accelerating.
Just my experience,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

ANNIEFATS

I am going to check for exhaust leaks today, make sure everything is tight, and I will try again.
Thanks for the replies.
Todd

ANNIEFATS

I checked the connections and found when I put the thunderheader back on yesterday, I failed
to torque down the head bolts.  I had snugged them and tightened the rest but too busy dreamin
about riding and forgot to tighten them.
Thanks for the reminder.  Seems a little better, but I think I have to wait until spring to get here
before I know for sure.
Thanks again.
Todd