April 27, 2024, 11:59:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Anti -Gravity charger ?

Started by bladerunner, September 03, 2013, 04:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bladerunner

I have a 20 cell Antigravity coming this week .  Do I need the special charger  ? Or can I use my little "battery tender " charger ?    I believe they both just trickle charge .........bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

Karl H.

September 03, 2013, 04:34:00 AM #1 Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 04:48:49 AM by Karl H.
Manufacturer says:

You should NOT use  a automobile or motorcycle charger that is specific to Lead/Acid batteries!  They can cause damage to the batteries because they charge in a different way than a specific Lifepo4 Lithium Charger. They often have a Desulfinate feature or over voltage "Quick Charging" feature... both of which will damage the Antigravity Battery. Lead Acid charges in many case will overcharge a lithium battery ending up in damage which is not covered under our warranty.

http://antigravitybatteries.com/faq/

My opinion:

Trickle chargers for AGM batteries have a voltage limit of 13.6v to 13.8V max. They don't have fast charging or desulfinate features (make sure with yours!). Therefore I don't see any risk for a 12V Li battery which is designed to operate in a motorcycle with about 14.5 charging voltage and has an incorporated overcharge protection circuit (all Li batteries have that).

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

bladerunner

Yep read that .     The  " battery tender " that many of us are using certainly are not fast chargers . Certainly not as fast as the charging system on the bike . ..........bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

Karl H.

September 03, 2013, 04:53:10 AM #3 Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:14:37 AM by Karl H.
What the manufacturer obviously is concerned about are some chargers with desulfinate feature delivering up to 20V in the event of a deeply discharged battery. That high voltages cann't be safely handled by the protection circuit in the battery.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

Wicked

And please keep in mind that a true battery tender is not a charger. They will not charge a battery that is less than good to begin with as most of them only put out .75 - 1.25a. A tender may show a battery as being charged, but in reality it is only "surfaced charged".

Breeze

Why even worry about a  charger/tender?  The Li batteries all tout how long they can sit without loosing charge. 
If you live in a cold climate, be sure to watch the Youtube video of the cold starting procedure for these batteries. It takes about 15 minutes for the battery to warm itself up enough to turn over.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

pwmorris

Their charger is insurance-
It makes sure you are safely charging and keeping the battery at optimum health at all times.
I got one when I was running my Antigravity.
Soon as you make a pass, plug it in and relax. I also used one running a total loss system and it was nice knowing it was one less thing to worry about.

Jaycee1964

I have had the Antigravity 20 for 3 years and have never needed a charger.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

bladerunner

As  Paul Morris knows this is for my  street / drag dyna .   10 seconds doesn't charge the battery much  .   At test and tune Saturday   , I might make a dozen or so runs .  Think I`ll get the correct charger . Thanks for all your comments.........bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

Merc63

Quote from: pwmorris on September 03, 2013, 07:35:48 AM
Their charger is insurance-
It makes sure you are safely charging and keeping the battery at optimum health at all times.
I got one when I was running my Antigravity.
Soon as you make a pass, plug it in and relax. I also used one running a total loss system and it was nice knowing it was one less thing to worry about.

Are you still using the antigravity on the street bike?
2000 Dyna
126" S&S