April 27, 2024, 02:44:26 PM

News:

side oiler conversion ?

Started by LilBill, February 23, 2009, 08:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilBill

i've got a end oiler crank i want to put in a 67 but the cam cover is set up for side oiling. without reinventing the wheel is there a common way to do this ? (aside from swapping out pinion shafts)

IBARider

Side oiler?  hey, I've heard of those.  I also heard that guys would cut a groove around the circumference of the pinion bushing so there would be oil delivered all the time instead of once a revolution.  If that worked, perhaps, can you cut a groove in the bushing from the oil hole to the back?  That would put oil to the end.  If that works, maybe there's after market bushings with oil groove already cut.  or maybe I'll just shut up and let somebody who knows answer this.....
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

gryphon

The S&S timing gear covers 1969 and earlier, have pinion bushing that will work with either end oiling or side oiling pinion shafts. Give them a call to see if your cover can be upgraded by installing their bushing.

LilBill

well, i picked up a oem 65 cam cover at a swapmeet this weekend and it has had the sideoiler conversion done on it. these are the modifications on it:

the feedhole on the inside that matches up with the one in the case has been drilled and tapped to take a restrictor jet.

the pinion bushing has been replaced with the smaller i.d. end oiler bushing.

a passage has been drilled down the side of the bushing (at the parting line) that intersects the oil supply passage and terminates in the well at the base of the bushing. that passage was then tapped and a set screw plug installed that seals it at one end directing the oil into the bushing well.

the weep hole in the pinion bushing casting has been tapped and another set screw plug inserted in it thereby sealing the well.

simple as hell once you see it done :-)