May 09, 2024, 03:48:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil from crank vent

Started by 76shuvlinoff, September 09, 2013, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76shuvlinoff

In the past after a run I'd get a nickle spot of oil from the crank vent. Now I get a spot that'll spread to well over a silver dollar size. Maybe this isn't anything but it sure seems it got instantly bigger after I went from the L3S to the Andrews 7 cam earlier this year. I was careful as hell and bike runs great but now I am wondering if I got the breather gear off a tooth. Thoughts?

- Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hillside Motorcycle

You know it'll bother you until you check that........ :teeth:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

easyricer

:agree: I doubt it is, might have something to do with the new glide, and she's pissed! Ol Betsie didn't act up until there was a younger gal parked next to her either...
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Ohio HD

Get a new check ball, spring, clean the seat best you can...   you know the drill Mark....    :smiled:

76shuvlinoff

Brian,
Check ball and spring... I didn't think of that because it's not sumping at start up, only drips after a run. I might was well pop those out though, easy enough to look.

Yeah Scott, you're right. With my tank getting patched I have the time and the gaskets.....  :banghead:

We're probably talking about 1/2 a teaspoon of oil.  I need a life.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

Mark, I didn't read close enough to see it was after a run...  probably not anything to do with the check ball then.  :embarrassed:

But if it's after a ride, it may also be doing it while you ride too. You sure that's not a Twin Cam?  :smile:

76shuvlinoff

Could be Brian, I have it dumping right behind the swing arm pivot point on the right side. This morning I see the rim is getting grungy on that side.

- Mark
 - Ernest Hemingway