April 27, 2024, 11:47:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'75 FXE OEM speedo/tach mounting

Started by kajutisg, September 12, 2013, 03:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kajutisg

Here I am again, wondering about something on my FXE.

Does attached pic of riser/clamp seem to be OEM that I could attach OEM speedo/tach to?  I'm thinking not.

Gary K

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Gary K
'75 FXE (Shovel), '84 FLTC (Evo)

kajutisg

And this is the OEM speedo/tach I picked up off eBay, that I'd like to use, if possible (save some $ I can use elsewhere).

Gary K

Gary K

Julio

Mark222

That gauge setup looks (I think) like a tank setup, but you can mount them off the handlebar clamp with the correct bracket.

Mark

kajutisg

The tank does have some light rust inside. I'd like to clean it out then ensure it's kept full (after painting outside) to reduce recurrence.  Good filter will be inline to protect carb.
Gary K

kajutisg

Here's picture of back of speedo/tach, showing bracket holding them together.  I'd have to get my hands on a new tripmeter reset cable, 'cause this one is shot (won't turn).  I have yet to test speedo to ensure it works but I seem to recall that vendor said it did.

Gary K

Deye76

Those are the correct guages. The risers look to be the pull back variety and the stock risers were not, will affect how the gauges mount up. It can be done, but may require a little modification.

That ball peen hammer on the bench........it's the right tool for working on Shovelheads.  :hyst: :hyst: :wink:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

bluehighwayfx

The tach/speedo in the picture looks like the one that came on my 76 FXE new. The odometer reset cable was always a pain on mine. I can't tell from the picture but the top clamp on mine had four or five horizontal raised bars. The setup you have should mount to the proper top clamp. But it should also mount to anything with the right bolt placement.
Killing bugs at high speed since 1978, same shovel, different day.

billbuilds

Gary, I don't see any reason why our speedo/tack bracket won't fit. The four rise bolts have two different spacing widths so that bracket probably going to fit on the top ones only. I'm thinking that you'll need to get two short barrel-shaped shims and two slightly longer hex head mount bolts to replace those allen head bolts. The barrel-shaped shims go between the bottom of the bracket and the top holes in the rise clamp. The parts book shows those hex head bolts as being 1-3/4" long. The spacers are OEM number 67009-72 but gives no dimensions.  The hex head bolts are 5/16-18 so the ID of the spacers will obviously need to be 5/16". Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Mark222

Ah, I see now.  Sorry about questioning the bracket.........  That does look to be the one.

Mark

kajutisg

Thanks for all the comments.  I'll investigate more, particularly on how difficult it will be to mount this assembly on the clamp using barrel spacer & longer bolts.

In the worst case I can always get different riser with clamps that don't go across like that & get a small universal speedo to go in between on the bars.

But it's coming together, bit by bit.

Gary K
Gary K

kajutisg

Just came from checking out some more in the garage.

I removed the speedo & tach from the mounting bracket.  I've have to source some lighting for them, but I think I may have some old Stewart-Warner lighting from my 1970's gauges & stuff buried in the garage.

I tested the speedo by using an electric drill (in reverse I believe it was) & saw the needle go up to 20 mph, so it appears to be working.  That trip meter reset cable is a PITA when it's bent at the extreme angle that the mounting bracket calls for, but works just fine if it's straight or slightly angled.  May have to investigate alternative mounting for that, to keep tripmeter.

The risers on the bike right now are about 4 inch with a bit of a pullback, & the pullback is a problem for mounting the bracket.  It clears the gas cap on the smaller tank, but JUST.  So I figure I'll have to change to 4 inch risers with no pullback.

I tried using the current speedo cable to attach to the OEM speedo, but it appears that it's mean for dash-mounted speedo only, cause the threaded ferrule can't reach the threads on the speedo.  So I guess a new cable is required.

Gettin' there!
Gary K

Deye76

"Gettin' there!"

Good for you Gary, getting the old iron to comeback is a labor of love  :up:.
My first new Harley was a black '75 FXE. That summer the Superglide took me to Estes Park, Co, Yellowstone, Sturgis, Grand Canyon, back to Mich. then in the fall south to my parents in N.C. from there to Key West and back to Mich. & up to the Upper Penisula. Everyone told me that AMF wouldn't make it through Ohio.
Keep the pictures coming, mucho enjoyment.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP