May 01, 2024, 10:48:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifter replacement

Started by Bucket, February 23, 2009, 03:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucket

Just finished a mild build on 80 inch evo. The front ex. lifter sounds a little noisy. Going to replace the lifters soon and not sure what kind to use. It has the B lifters by looking at the pictures in other posts and its a 98 fxstc. I installed an ev 27 with se pushrods and a set of milled heads .060 with Jim's springs and a mild port & polish  stock size valves S&S E.The engine has just over 34 K. When I done the cam I used the stock gear and replaced the bearing. When I put the cam in late last year ( before the heads ) it seemed less noisy. Do you think the extra spring pressure could make the lifters noisy along with the cam? also what kind of lifters?

hdbikedoc

This cam has always been a noisey one and although it makes good power I don't like to use it as it has fast ramps and this makes it hard to get noise out.
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

psyco369

try playing with the setting on the push rod ...I did and found on mine 1/2 turn back (3 1/2 instead of 4 turns) works best for me on all rods.....only sound now is from the pipes.....some say that 1/2 turn MORE on the front exhaust quiets it up

JohnS_Rosamond

I second the idea that this particular cam is not that quiet. Also, the front exhaust is always going to be a a little more noisy as it has the worst angle (or most angle I guess you'd say) of all the valves.

Dan89flstc

I have been running an EV 27 in my 89 softail for about 20,000 miles and it is very quiet. I installed stock HD lifters at the same time and used the origional gear that was on the stock cam. I think sometimes the lifters get blamed for a clattering noise when it is actually the cam/pinion gear making noise. Also when there is wear on the cam bushing (the one in the right cam cover)it will sound like a loose lifter.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

JohndeereG

All adjustable pushrods threads are not created equal, the SE quick install #17987-98A have 24 threads per inch and
are adjusted at 2 1/2 turns, 1.0 " divided by 24 = .04166 x 2.5 = .104, if you use four turns on these SE you
will be setting the lifter near .170 travel . HD "B" lifters are made to run between .080 to .120 travel.
If your pushrods are 32 threads per inch, 1.0" divided by 32 =.03125 x 3.5 =.109 plunger travel.
93 FXR

tinkerman

Hey Johndeere,

I am replacing the original lifters on my Heritage with the "B" lifters as part of a topend rebuild. Not sure what type of adjustables I have as all that is written on them is "3 turns" engraved by hand on the bottom of the rod.

Question: Do you know if the "B" lifters have the same travel specs. as the original ones?

Wouldn't want to adjust the rods back to the original position based on assumption.

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

JohndeereG

It would be nice it you found out the thread pitch of your pushrods by taking one to someone who has a thread
pitch gage, most machine shops or some parts stores will have a thread gage. Once you know what  thread yours have
it is easy to get the proper adjustment. Yes the Evo "B" lifters are the same as the old "A" style, the adjustment
from zero lash is .080 to .120 to center of inner plunger travel. I just put in a set of new "B" lifters and found one
of them had two snap or retainer rings in it, I removed one of them, must have had two stuck together when
assembled or was a Mon. morning oops. My parts guy said he had seen one like that a few years ago.
Price of "B" lifters at the stealer is $36.00 list, but they are like $29.00 from biker bob's, however it takes
about 2 weeks to get them, if you are not in a hurry.
93 FXR

14Frisco

It would be nice it you found out the thread pitch of your pushrods by taking one to someone who has a thread
pitch gage, most machine shops or some parts stores will have a thread gage.

Or, simply lay it next to a ruler and count number of threads there are in 1".

tinkerman

OK,

Good Heads up JD. I will be sure to check the tpi on my lifters.

Someone else gave me the low down on this awhile back on this site but I will just be getting back in the shop later in the week so I had let it slide for a bit.

Thanks again,

tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

psyco369

Quote from: JohndeereG on March 02, 2009, 07:14:01 AM
All adjustable pushrods threads are not created equal, the SE quick install #17987-98A have 24 threads per inch and
are adjusted at 2 1/2 turns, 1.0 " divided by 24 = .04166 x 2.5 = .104, if you use four turns on these SE you
will be setting the lifter near .170 travel . HD "B" lifters are made to run between .080 to .120 travel.
If your pushrods are 32 threads per inch, 1.0" divided by 32 =.03125 x 3.5 =.109 plunger travel.
I guess I should have said that the 4 turns was just my rods and not all rods.....but its the same idea 1/4-1/2  turn more or less to find the sweet spot....my rods are revtech