April 30, 2024, 04:00:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'75 XLH Clutch Issues

Started by Billy, September 20, 2013, 07:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

I'm working on this for a friend and don't have much IHS experience, so bear with me.

He brings it to me , says the clutch lever wouldn't move (locked at full engagement after sitting for 2 hours), he bump started it to get it here and halfway here it released and worked as normal. I replaced the clutch cable a few months ago but now there is more free play in the lever, so I re-adjusted it.

I'm guessing the issue he had was from too much slack in the cable? New cable stretch?

I'm road testing it now, doing an accelerator pump adjustment and the clutch lever gets to where it will not pull all the way to the grip, and is getting progressively worse, but still disengages. I stop the hard acceleration and the lever starts to work again as normal, as it cools, I assume.

I'm thinking the clutch plates are old, possibly original and are slipping slightly, heating up and swelling causing the lever to go away when I was adjusting the acc pump??

Is my thinking on track? ...or, What is your experience, thoughts, and suggestions?

I'm probably going to replace the friction discs with Barnett kevlar, their steels, outer drive plate, and Kibblewhite single spring.

Are these good choices?

The bike has a new top end, S&S Super E, and drag pipes, and runs strong.

Suggestions for replacement?
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Billy

Upon disassembly, I found 2 issues;

The clutch hub nut was loose, turn with fingers.

There are only 7 steels, where there should be 8, the outer drive plate was turned around so the side without friction material was being used as the 8th steel.  :wtf:

Diagram of clutch is the 2ond post in this thread;

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,55557.0.html

kik

Did you check the Ramp adjuster to make sure its functioning properly? Sounds to me like it's binding.

Billy

Yeah Kik, it seems to work smooth. I think the issue he had with the no pull lever was one of the balls fell out of place from the adjuster being loose, and while he was riding it maybe vibration allowed it re-seat itself.  :nix:

Obviously someone has been into this clutch before, not sure why they left one steel out, but that's probably why it's been slipping. All the steels are warped and show discoloration, the frictions don't look to be badly worn.

garyajaz

just go with Barnett and be done with it.
I have a 80 incher and some power.  Barnett been in there last 20 years.
good find on the misassembled and missing parts

have fun

Billy

Thanks Gary, I wanted to hear from someone with experience with the Barnett pieces. I'll order on Monday.  :beer:

nibroc

barnett-wet or dry with extra plate   :agree: