May 09, 2024, 05:07:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hello from Libya

Started by City Chicken, September 21, 2013, 10:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

City Chicken

OK I am not actually Libyan, I am just a US Contractor working here (after 3.5 years in Afghanistan and a few months in Basrah, Iraq.)

After coming home and marrying my child bride back in 2011, she got her house and I got my Harley - a 2012 Ultra Limited.  Yeah, I went right to the top on this deal; in fact, I didn't even have my motorcycle license yet so I drove around illegally learning how to ride on back country roads, took the MSF course and then got legit.

Of course, my driving "privileges" have now been rescinded in Virginia and the District of Columbia, but that is all just a matter of he said, she said, 87 in a 55, blah blah blah.  My wife just needs to get down to the DMV and pay a reinstatement fee for Virginia so that I can keep my clearance (gotta work for Uncle Sugar and that means looking clean clean clean, especially after that spas killed all those innocents at the Navy Yard while managing to keep his clearance despite an obvious history of violence.)  I guess I do need to slow down a bit, but were these things really built to putt putt putt around?  When I get on I-70 going east to Baltimore, HAMMER TIME!

While I was home I was putting approximately 15 thousand miles a year on my sled (I bought the extended warranty and my goal was to pile on the miles so that I could drag the bike into the dealership with any mileage related issues and triumphantly announce "Under warranty!")  My local dealership is Grove's Harley Davidson just outside of Winchester, and I cannot say enough good things about everyone there (especially Jeff who runs the Service Department.)

I intend to keep my bike forever.  It may be a giant rolling couch, but that just helps me to stack on the miles.  I was impressed with this forum because it is straightforward information for Harley technology and at the end of the day while I like to trade dirty jokes over the'Net with anyone, I really like the fact that forums like this exist to get right to the point.  Cam gear conversion?  Easy to find, all the information you need to really understand what's happening is there, and the input from the regulars here seems first rate (at least to a noob like me.)

Time for me to go out and kick some butt to get some activity on the site: we're supporting a massive electrical effort to give these people hot showers, cold split units, and TV 24/7 so I go between 6 sites making 450MW in Tripoli and the southern desert (cat dg farms at 2 sites and gas turbines (GE & P&W) at four others) and I am running logistics for all of this as a subcontractor to the prime.  Things don't get done here unless my size 13 safety shoe is in someones rear end so it's time to go out and pick my target for the morning.

See you all around the forum.

- Justin
"Yeah that would be funny....if I was stupid."
- Meatwad