April 27, 2024, 02:25:59 AM

News:

Replacing wiring harness

Started by 07flstf, February 25, 2009, 12:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

07flstf

I  have a 1998 FLHTCUI.  Under the batwing I had a few broken wires which were repaired over the years, mostly caused by the first owner adding stuff that he shouldn't have.  Anyway, I am still having some small problems and I am now thinking about looking into a fresh start and see if I can get a new wiring harness from Harley.  Any thoughts about cost and if its still avaible ?

Thanks in advance    Be Safe  JIM

Porkchop

I'd guess that it's an obsolete item but some dealer probably has one laying around collecting dust.   I'd also guess that it's around a three hundred dollar item for just the harness under the batwing....  I think some dealers will check inventory of other dealers for you, some dealer wont.  I only guessing here so someone might know for sure. Good luck,
PC
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!

Hybredhog

All depends on what wires are screwed up, milage & possible coastal corrosion. If its just a "few" wires, its not that hard to make a new section of harness in a new loom & the correct ends, properly soldiered wires & heat shrink can be as good as new. But if your set on it, look on E-bay too, you'd be suprised how many people bastardize their bikes to make them look like Road Kings...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

14Frisco

gofastmoose

I have 35 years as an Electrician. Worked at Ford.
My 89 FLHTC started having wiring problem.
I cut all the plug out, and hard wired the bike.
Took care of my problem.

copjoe