May 02, 2024, 05:50:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Can I check the float bowl setting

Started by 97dyna, February 25, 2009, 06:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97dyna

Is there a way to check (and/or adjust) the float setting on a Mikuni carb without removing the entire carb from the bike? 

Hybredhog

Yes, just pull the float bowl, and carefully lift the float as you watch the needle seat with out compressing the dampening tit in the needle. Practice makes perfect, and odds are it a bit high anyways...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

97dyna

"That practice makes perfect" is what worries me!  I thought I had this set correctly when I had it off - (turned the carb upside down and measured).

After every ride, I turn off the fuel petcock, get off the bike, and then watch a steady stream of gas run from the carb overflow drain hose.  I have the air cleaner to carb sealed up tight - Mikuni 42mm settings 165m, 20p, 50 nozzle - Woods W6 carb.

I think gas is collecting in the air cleaner elbow.  Could the float level be the cause?

Hybredhog

Something to be aware of is that Mikunis' float tention, or presure to be able to close the needle & seat is a bit light. so you might want to crack the gas cap & see if its presurizing past the float. You can either drill out your cap vent, or get in the habit of shutting it off, the later is best, ecspecialy on a hot day with a full tank. Also something I've ran into on a twin cam, the bowl sits damn close to the cylinder, and that can boil the fuel at a stop....Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH