May 06, 2024, 01:07:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Progressive 440 Heavy Duty Shocks

Started by PaJoe, February 25, 2009, 02:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaJoe

I purchased a set of Progressive Chrome 440-4020C shocks a few years ago, most of last summer I had trouble with them bottoming out so I bought a used set of Harley stock shocks off an '09 Ultra. I contacted Progressive out of curiosity to see if they would check them under the lifetime warranty. I received a RMA number and on 02/13/2009 I sent them back USPS Priority mail. Today I received what appears to be a brand new set of Progressive 13" HD shocks (440-4020C) - I am extremely impressed. They cost pretty much at the time I purchased them, but the invoice that came with these new ones has $0.00 - free, not even a  shipping charge on them.

These times are tough and to have a company like Progressive Suspension do this sure makes me glad I chose Progressive Shocks in the first place.

joe

JamLazyAss

And it's great that you have taken the time to applaud their services here for us all to see.

Thanks!
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Big Dan

Joe,
The lifetime warranty was one of the reasons I chose progressive 440's. It may not make much difference to the guys that buy a new bike every coupla years, but I'm keepin' this one forever; so, I'll nevber have to spend another dime on shocks.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Panzer

Great to hear a company that stands behind their warranty.
Did they say what was wrong with the one you return?
Warmer weather here in Pa. Joe, get them on, pronto.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

PaJoe

Panzer,

They did not say what, if anything was wrong. There was little information exchanged, the same day I sent them an email to find out if they received the pair I returned (they were insured for $550.00) the new shocks were at the front door. The reply from my email sent in the early that same morning  was a tracking number to confirm the new shocks were shipped. Fast, free and no bullshit. Perhaps if I had called they would have told me more, but to be honest, it does not matter that much to me. I am currently using a pair off an '09  Ultra and planned on keeping them on for a while, but that was before I go this shiny new pair just begging to be used.

Caper

PaJoe how do you find the '09 shocks?? could you make a comparison between them and the older stock touring shocks and also to the progressives?? I just bought an '03 FLHPI last year and I'm not overly impressed with the stock shocks and was wondering about trying  to get a 2nd hand set of '09s or just go for the Progressives.

Justpassingas

Well I sent my heavy duty 440's back last week...this being the second time in about 3 years at around 30K on them...they were leaking and bottoming out and I'm not happy with them....I ride 1 up 90% of the time and weigh about 230....well the phone rings this morning and its Progressive and they are sending out BRAND NEW 440's and I should get them next week....Can't ask for any better customer service and they do stand behind their product....hopefully my troubles are behind me
For Duty and Humanity

PosseRider

quit passingas on em, ruins the seals!!!  :hyst:   :gob:
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

PaJoe

Caper,

I don't know...

I really don't push the bike hard in turns or anything which might show bigger differences between the shocks. Normal riding, 2 up the stock '09 shocks seem about as good as I remember the Progressive shocks were when they were still working. I read the '09 shocks do handle the weight better than the older '90 shocks. I also purchased a set off an '07 but did not even try those because I knew I was getting the '09 shocks, I think the '07 are better than the '90 as well. Sorry  I can't give you a better answer.

If your problem is bottoming out, you can try switching the oil in them, there are howtos around, basically fill them up until they hold no more then completely compress them to push all the excess oil out. http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/touring-motorcycle-family-general-discussions/109070-making-stock-shocks-better.html

Caper

Thanks, I'm going to on try that out on another set of stock shocks I have here, to see how it feels. If not then maybe try to pick up a set of 07 or 09 take offs.

Justpassingas

quit passingas on em, ruins the seals!!!     

well......at least I ain't blowing seals :smiled:
For Duty and Humanity

Ken R

So, they're providing warranty replacement despite the statement in the limited warranty policy?  This is good news.  I have mine off and ready to send back to them for warranty repair or replacement.  Mine began showing signs of seepage within the one-year limited warranty time period, but of course I didn't take 'em off to send back immediately.  Now, the oil seepage has become more chronic, even drips down onto the swing arm.  I'll call them tomorrow.  I hope they warrant mine, too. 

Stated Warranty Policy
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/warranty05.html

PaJoe

March 22, 2009, 04:46:35 PM #12 Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:48:44 PM by PaJoe
Ken R,

I thought the 440 were sold with a lifetime warranty at the time I purchased ours - and I did send them a copy of the original purchase receipt from Dennis Kirk along with the email explaining what was wrong with mine. I still did not put them on, the stock '09 shocks work pretty good, only bottom out once in a while. I  should change them just to see if I notice a difference, maybe one of theses days.

Ken R

I'll be calling them tomorrow for a Return Authorization.  I'm expecting them to warrant the shocks . . . .they seem to be very customer satisfaction oriented. 

Ken

Justpassingas

like I said I got a new pair of 440's after returning them twice....I'm happy with the customer service and the new shocks....so far
For Duty and Humanity