April 27, 2024, 01:24:19 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cam bearing

Started by patmen, November 07, 2008, 05:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patmen

Hy everybody
just asking around if anybody has had problems with the factory cam needle bearing. Have seen now two engines ( stock camshaft) where the bearing failed. Big mess in the engine. Engines have around 40000miles on the clock. one is from 1992 and the other from 1995.I know that it is best to change the bearing when going to a camshaft upgrade ( timken bearing) . But with stock configuration?
Patmen

Trip

I wouldnt run a stock INA bearing for ANY longer than i had to...regardless of cam upgrade ...and i,d also dump the early A lifters asap also.

dave_9113

Hey, with Harley, anything can happen.  It is VERY advisable to change to Torrington/Timken cam bearing when changing out cam. 

On the two engines you mentioned.  What was the maintenance like?  I believe '92 had good bearing, and '95 had the INA bearing.  Bottom line is most will give noise warning before they go south, so I suspect these bikes were not taken cared of, or by non-maintenance owners.  Just a guess.

It's more likely for lifters to go bad even at low miles ~25K.  They will also give warnings.  Ignored and you will have to rebuild the motor. 

dave

Kirbo

So just what kinda noise does a cam bearing make before its fubar time?
Ride Safe

dave_9113

Quote from: Kirbo on November 07, 2008, 08:22:32 AM
So just what kinda noise does a cam bearing make before its fubar time?

The best I can describe is a "chuffing" sound vs. tick-tick or knocking, synonymous with lifters or compensating nut troubles, respectively.

Does that help any? 

dave 

heritage2

what years had the bad cam bearings ?

mp

'92 on had the INA.  Change to the full complement Torrington bearing.  And change to quality aftermarket lifters.  Ask me how I know.  (1992 FXRS)

crazylore

They changed the cam bearing in the middle of 92.....I too  found out the hard way on my 96 FatBoy...took out the pinion gear which is what makes the noise....also took out the plastic breather valve.... scoot had 36K...replaced breather valve with Jims metal one ...installed stock color code red pinion gear....EV-13 cam....and of course stacked Torrington bearing,,,not the caged bearing....the cage broke on the old bearing...could have been worst....very happy with the results of the repair
04FLSTFI 95" TW 44 cams

patmen

Hy dave
to your question about maintenance. As for thr 1996 bike I can garanty it was well  maintaint(bike belongs to a friend). It happend during a run we made( 500 miles) , on the motorway. the bike made for a few minutes a noise like the primary chain was to loose. Then a big noise and the oil check lamp went on . The bike was directly shut off.
For the other one I do not know, just have the engine on my workbench.
Thanks for the replys so far.
Patmen

Trip

Crazylore...how do like that mild EV13 ??..i,m gonna put one in a bagger shortly...i,m lookin for breathability up around 80mph for freeway flyin....

ModelABob

mp,

You mentioned "quality" aftermarker lifters, you don't think stock Harley lifters are any good?
What brand do you run?  Just interested because I'm thinking of putting new ones in when I go
to adjustable pushrods. :idea:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

crazylore

Trip....I think its a good choice for what u want ..easy install...Check e-mail I sent u
04FLSTFI 95" TW 44 cams

Trip

Received man!..Danka!!....Harley lifters are perfect for anything under 100HP...

92Fatty

I've never heard that about the middle of 92 for the cam bearing swap. :smileo: I got 40k on mine now and it may be time for a cam and lifter swap. I've been wanting to get a VT3020 for a while now.

Buddy WMC

Hi Guys,
I'm running the Comp Cams V-Thunder lifters as is recommended with the V-Thunder cam and B-Hive valve spring I have installed in my built up EVO engine. They also come with some of the Revolution Performance big bore kits that we install on Sporty's, EVO's and TC's. Have not had a failure yet and the lifters come with a lifetime warranty. Of course, that means the lifters are replaced for free, labor and incidental damage is of course not covered.

With the higher lift cam that I run (.585), I plan to change the springs, lifters and Torrington bearing every 20K. Just seems to me to be the thing to do to insure that there will be no valvetrain problems. We are building a 95" Sportster at the moment for a customer that is nitrous equipped. Still waiting for some parts and for the heads to come back from the porter. I can't wait to see what our Dyno guy does when he hits that button!!

96dynabagger

My '96 had noticeable wear on the bearing needles and cam after 27K.
Not horrible, but it would have gotten pretty ugly if it had gone much
farther.  Good thing I was swapping cams anyway. 

Its just too much of a load for the stock bearings with only half the needles.

Accountants 1
Engineers     0  Final

$1M for new T-shirt designs, $0 to fix the problem...   :cry:

fatboy98

Just had mine done at 26k, noticeable wear on the bearing and cam. Engine was making a sound like a click (metal on metal) at random Don't know what it was but I don't think it would have gone many more miles without a major problem. Funny thing is my friends give me crap that it was the luggage rack vibrating and I used it as an excuse for a new cam.