April 27, 2024, 12:46:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Comp Assembly

Started by Kirbo, November 07, 2008, 05:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirbo

I've been reading alot of posts over the last year that bring up replacing the compensator assembly. After taking the primary cover off, how does one determine if the compensator is worn out without removing it first? If you twist both halves in opposite directions, should you see movement by only using your hands? Should the spring inside keep it so tight that you shouldnt be able to slide the halfs up the ramps? Obviously I'm thinking there should not be any in-out movement. Anybody got any input?

Ride Safe

Riverside Joe

Everyone I've changed out, the new ones with new hardware keep the lobes buried into the valleys. No movement. That's how I check mine.-------RJ
RFFR

dave_9113

Kirbo,

Do you suspect your compensator nut is loose, making noise, etc...?

You could take a visual inspection of the comp. sprocket gear teeth to ensure there are no cracks, but you'll have to take the comp. off to really look at the inner splines and nut's inner threads for any wear. 

These items are viturally indestructable.  They do come loose, but that's probably due to incorrect torque spec when the last person put it back on.  150-165 ft. lbs with a little red loc-tite and only done by hand.  No torque wrench.  Good luck.

dave

Kirbo

Hey...I see BDL is making a different style comp for Harleys, more inexpensive also. Anyone have any experience with these?
Ride Safe