April 27, 2024, 11:30:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Caliper bolts striped Street Rod

Started by harleyroadkingguy, October 26, 2013, 05:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleyroadkingguy

Hi,

I have an 06 Street Rod and tried to take the wheels off the other day and stripped the star bolts on the calipers.  3 out of the 4 striped.  I tried a drill out extractor and had no success.  Any one else have this problem?  If so how did you get them out?

Thanks

rbabos

Quote from: harleyroadkingguy on October 26, 2013, 05:41:58 PM
Hi,

I have an 06 Street Rod and tried to take the wheels off the other day and stripped the star bolts on the calipers.  3 out of the 4 striped.  I tried a drill out extractor and had no success.  Any one else have this problem?  If so how did you get them out?

Thanks
Are you talking the 12 point bolts that hold the caliper to the legs?
Ron

rbabos

Not sure how you stripped the 12 point heads off but no matter at this point. Get some nuts and have them tig welded on. The heat will soften the loctite and a socket on the nut should break them free. If you do it at a shop make sure they break free first with a half turn loose then snug them up . Finalize the removal when you get home for bolt replacements.
A second desperate option is to drill the heads off, shift the caliper out of the leg, then remove the remainder of the bolt.
Ron

FSG

Stripped the heads of 4 & 5 ,  what socket did you use?

rbabos

After reading the OP I went out to see if I would have issues as well. 10mm 12 point socket broke them free, but damn that one #5 was tighter then the rest. Sounded like a wheel nut on a car breaking free from head friction on the bolt. No loctite on any of them, which is no surprise since v rods have practically no loctite anywhere on the bike. Don't buzz enough, I guess.
Ron

88b

That could be the problem a lot of people don't realise the caliper bolts are 10mm 12 point.

wholehog

Quote from: 88b on October 29, 2013, 08:48:50 AM
That could be the problem a lot of people don't realise the caliper bolts are 10mm 12 point.
:rtfb:

kristian

November 01, 2013, 06:51:20 PM #8 Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:00:19 PM by kristian
not familiar but can you not just cut the head off the bolt and pull caliper, then use vice grips/pipe wrench to pull studs.  you need new bolts anyways.  is the caliper the same as on the 2000-2003 sportsters/dynas???, the bolts are the same
Kris

rbabos

Quote from: kristian on November 01, 2013, 06:51:20 PM
not familiar but can you not just cut the head off the bolt and pull caliper, then use vice grips/pipe wrench to pull studs.  you need new bolts anyways.  is the caliper the same as on the 2000-2003 sportsters/dynas???, the bolts are the same
#5s are in a recessed pocket. Best one could do is slowly drill away at it until the heads off, then do as you say after that.
Ron

Alien