April 28, 2024, 03:12:17 AM

News:

question about genny cam gears

Started by LilBill, February 26, 2009, 01:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilBill

do the generator shovels use color coded gears in the cam chest like the later nosecone shovels ?

CraigArizona85248

I've never run across color coding for generator gears.  The lash is typically adjusted by placing spacers between the generator and the motor case.

-Craig

Pzokes

February 26, 2009, 03:12:18 PM #2 Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 03:23:09 PM by Pzokes
The gear lash is adjusted with spacers between the motor, and the generator only on early Panheads, Knuckleheads, and Flatheads.  Those generators are not self supporting and use a strap around the generator too.  But, on the later two brush generators that use the larger mounting bolts, and no mounting strap, there are several different gear sizes available.  You rarely will need to use a special gear.  There are some cheap crap Tiawan gears out there that will cause you a problem.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

LilBill

i think i misworded my question, let me try again. i know that on the later nosecone shovels (beginning with the plastic breathers maybe ?) the pinion gear, cam gear and i think breather gear were color coded to denote various diameters to properly adjust their lash. like if you had a yellow pinion then you need to run a yellow cam gear. i think, not really up on that stuff.
my question is, is there a similar system for the slab side or generator motors ? my budget forces me to use used gears on this build i need to know as much as i can about what to look for. i already have a nos timer gear and breather but still shopping for a cam and pinion.

Pzokes

I don't know of any different size gears for generator Shovel breathers.  The only thing that I adjust is the endplay with the different size washers. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.

billbuilds

There are different sized pinion gears for Knucks, Pans, genny Shovels and cone Shovels. Got any aftermarket catalogs? Check them out or go to J&P's online. The '36 to '53 pinion gear (oem 24010-39) is available in six diffeent sizes. The '54 to '77 pinion gear (oem 24010-54) is available in nine different sizes and yes, they're all color coded except for the standard size. Due to manufacturing tolerences the pitch of the gears varies. When I called Crane Cams several years ago they told me that Andrews made their cam gears and that they used red coded ones almost exclusively as they're pretty much middle of the road pitch size-wise. However, I was also told that matching color codes (red cam gear to red pinion gear) really only gets you in the ballpark, so to speak. You should still check gear lash once assembled. I know that Delkron makes what's called a "space in time" tool that will enable you to measure this. Hope that this helps, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.