1986 sportster leaking rocker box removal

Started by E.T., November 03, 2013, 04:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.T.

To remove the boxes ,after I have removed the top and front motor mounts will the engine tip easily to the left so I can get the back left bolt out of the rear set? It is under the frame! I did my FLHTCU but all the bolts came out without hitting the frame. Any help would be appreciated.    Thanks E.T.

Wicked

All motor mounts - top, front, and rear would have to be removed to tip the motor. Not needed just to removed rocker covers though...  If you got that "hard to get at" bolt loose, and it appears to hit on the frame before you can remove it with pliers, it's probably just hung up on it's sealing washer. Work it some more - it will come loose...

E.T.

Yes after further looking at the problem I realized it is a lot of work to tip the motor. The bolt was still 4 threads in, under the frame, not loose. I decided to cut the head off which gave me 1/4" more room. It is a 1-1/4" bolt but I can fit a 1" in there for the install and the torque is only 13ftlbs with rubber gaskets. This should work.   Thank you for your reply....E.T.