May 09, 2024, 02:16:49 PM

News:

best aftermarket rear chain lube?

Started by who444444, November 05, 2013, 04:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

who444444

I know this might be like asking what is the best oil but everything I have tried still flings off and makes a little mess on spokes, wheel and chainguard.
What are my options?
thanks, dave

Hogman

Depending on your Chain, You COULD try Chain WAX. Under Some applications, it Seems to Work OK.     :idunno:    (Hope this Helps)   
Hogman

76shuvlinoff

:agree:  I clean my O ring chain with a WD40 soaked rag then use a spray-on chain wax. Been doing this since 03.  I let it harden up a bit before riding. It'll still throw a booger or two on my WWWs. I redirected the case breather down the right side away from the chain, it dumps at the swingarm.

Of course any drips from the tranny seal will eventually get slung by the chain.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Breeze

The best I ever remember using was PJ1 chain lube, and it still flung a little bit.  I don't know if it is still made.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

prodrag1320

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: who444444 on November 05, 2013, 04:12:28 PM
I know this might be like asking what is the best oil but everything I have tried still flings off and makes a little mess on spokes, wheel and chainguard.
What are my options?
thanks, dave

We use/stock PJ 1 Blue Label.
Stays on the chain good.
Best time to lube your chain is when you come back from a ride, as it is warm, and expanded at that point allowing it to get to where it can work.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

HotRodShovel

HD lube did a great job of cleaning my chain. Took off all residual gunk and made it look new. threw some back on the WWW  but thats the price to pay for chain drives and white walls. Going back to black.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

easyricer

We use and sell Fuchs Silkolene, semi syn chain lube here at my shop. It does work well, it does spit a little on my whitewalls but it has kept my chain going for quite a while now. I've been running the same Tsubaki Stainless steel, o-ring chain now for about 5 or 6 six years, with only minor adjustments and probably well over 30k on it now.
Before that, I took my chain off while servicing and just dropped it into the drain pan that I was draining the oil into. Worked pretty good too, but between that and the chain oiler, it made a pretty good stain in my driveway.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

dusty1

I too use PJ1 and only right after a ride to warm up chain.I have also done like EASY and let my chain soak in a drip pan full of used oil during the Winter.I let it soak for a week or a month.Remove it when you remember where the hell your chain went,wipe down,& put it back on.It brings an old chain back to life again.Super well lubed,but it wont last as long as PJ1.Dont know about chain wax,never tried it. :smilep:

JohnCA58

I clean the chain every 5 K miles with Kerosene and chain brush, and lube it with PJ1 Blue label, and let it sit overnight and get very little thrown off the chain. so far haven't had to adjust the new EK zzz 530 chain.  great chain.
YOLO