May 02, 2024, 03:39:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Passing Lamps and wiring

Started by flhs90, February 27, 2009, 07:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Evos:

My passing lamp came loose again. I tightened with my special socket I made with the grinder. funny thing when I put it all back together, I pinched the wire leading up and into the passing lamp. this of course caused a short to my headlamps ehn I would swith on the toggle for the passing lamps. Problem solved by the following. I put some black electrical tape on it. Then I noticed the black tubing that was supposed to protect the wires where they enter the back of the mount between the turn signal lamp and the passing lamp. So that now is inserted inside the little slot to protect any pinching when it goes all back together.

Next issue: The bike is almost 20 years old and holding up very well. The turn light socket was all corroded and inside the half moon turn lamp housing there is a lot of corrosion (white stuff stuck to the fixture. Well the little springy socket was sticking so I w-d 40ed it and used some PB blaster and kept trying to free it so the bulb would not be loose. by finally being very patient as so not to tear the wiring, break it, etc. making matters worse (i.e. "more costly") I stumbled on the idea of pusing the wire into the turn signal light fixture and "viola" the insert came out and I was able to free up the spring so now it works correctly.)

One of my questions is how far back does this original equipement pass/turn light oem Harley date.

Two: Should I replace the wire, leave it alone, if it's working,  (murphey's law#2) or start looking for new oem parts on e-bay?

Three: Is there a plug that allows me to "replace" the light wires only or are they "hard wired" int the electical harness?

Four: should I be using some blue or other loctite on the adjustment threads to keep it from vibrating loose thus eleviating this task in the future?

Any and all encouragement is appeciated.

FLHS 90 :bf: :wtf: :gob:
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

tinkerman

One of my questions is how far back does this original equipement pass/turn light oem Harley date. Not sure about this....This is the type of socket I have seen on everything since I started turning a wrench on four wheels or two for the past 30+years. The europeans had some different sockets over time and in the past 5 - 10 years you see a lot more push in type (glass only) bulbs here in north America.

Should I replace the wire, leave it alone, if it's working,  (murphey's law#2) or start looking for new oem parts on e-bay   If you feel the wire is damaged or could short again with vibration then on a HD Evo, it will. If you are handy with a soldering iron just replace the conductor from the socket back to some place not so visible on or near the harness. use some heat shrink to cover it up. You can actually resolder to the spring part of the socket or scrounge up something similar at a junk yard.

Is there a plug that allows me to "replace" the light wires only or are they "hard wired" int the electical harness? I am not sure how your bike is wired up but you could do an "as good as new job" as described above without having to source any parts, depending on what kind of work you are comfortable with.

should I be using some blue or other loctite on the adjustment threads to keep it from vibrating loose thus eleviating this task in the future?   I run a 88 softail so I generally put a dap of locktite on the seat just beofre taking it for a ride :wink: Your bike being and FLH frame should run with a little less vibration but a little dab of blue locktite (medium strength) never hurt anything and has slowed down the trail of parts and nuts and bolts that I used to leave behind the softail. I have a small squeeze tube in my on board tool kit.

Hope this is of some help,

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003