May 03, 2024, 10:47:44 AM

News:

BORE GAGE

Started by hd76fxlr, February 27, 2009, 08:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd76fxlr

I'm looking for bore gages that will be used for everthing Shovelhead.Thats rod races;pinion races;cyl. bore;trans main bearing.I don't need to spend $800 each for these.Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Thanks Charlie

Hybredhog

I don't believe your going to find one guage that will cover rod bores (1.624ish"), up to 4+". I went though that myself 25 yrs. ago, and I ended up with two sets, the largeer one is old Sears/ Starett, and the other is Enco. The best thing I could tell you is to look though a Enco catalog for the best deal on two...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Tow-Truck

I bought one of ebay secondhand it does 1.9" to 6.1", looks really old with no brand name but the box says made in china! I have used it quite a bit over the last 2 years, seems ok. I'm sure you could buy one a little smaller.

Justpassingas

how about a set of telescope gages....cheap and measure from 5/16 thru 6" ....accurate to maybe .001  +/- .001 or .002 BUT you'll need a pair of O.D.mics to use them.........a set of bore gages that measures .0001 (tenths) will  more cost you. Why not a good pair of 6"dial verniers.....they are accurate to about the same and you can measure ID's or OD's

For Duty and Humanity

fbn ent

Check out Travers Tools. I have bought measuring tools from them (dial bore guage, mics, calipers,etc.). They are out of New York and have some pretty good specials at times.
Randy
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

69 harley

We use some bore gages from MSC here at work. They are inexpensive and hold up quite well for the abuse they take.
They have a 1.4" to 6.0" measuring range gage for $157.36. You still would need outside mics to set the gages up.
Copy and paste this link.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PMTYPE=KEY&SISMNO=8439046&SIPCNO=0000001389&SIZZNO=33699722&SIS0NO=1104318&SISHNO=0&SISRC=KG&SISRCH=1&SILEVL=3&SILSEQ=1&SIT4NO=59434409
69 harley

hd76fxlr

OKAY;
Lets take this one gage at a time.I need to install a main drive gear in a new STD case.The gear is about 1.6290 and the race is 1.8640.These measurements were made with a Brown&Sharpe caliper.Pretty nice mic.but only accurate to .0005.I feel I need a mic. that will measure from 1to2 inches. with an accuracy of at least .0002.Bearings are Std,.0004;.0008;1.000.I know after doing enough of these you get a "FEEL" and don't need to rely on measurements as much.My problem is I may not do another one this year!I have bought two from MSC and returned them.First one was poor grade;second one (electric) didn't work.I have fit rod bearings with go-no go method and gotten away with it.I am looking to improve my way of doing things.ALL suggestions greatly appreciated.The new race will have to be honed to fit gear;but you knew that!Thanks Charlie

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

69 harley

If you are talking about measuring inside dia., you can't beat dial bore gages. If you are talking about outside diameters, you will need outside mics for the most accurate measurments. Mitutoyo makes decent mics that read in tenths and are priced reasonable. As far as the calipers, the Brown & Sharpe are top of the line but measuring down to the tenths with them is tough to do and I've been using gages for years.
69 harley

hd76fxlr

Thanks for all the input...I just ordered 2 more gages;a 1-2 Mitutoyo Digimatic Micrometer and a bore gage 1.4-2.5 also a Mitutoyo.I'll show you all the gages I have on Monday.I don't know if this should be here or Tech; but I hope it will help someone else down the line.It has been an ordeal for me.This stuff sure ain't cheap.These aren't the best but I hope they will be better than good enough.Charlie

69 harley

I have worked in QC for years and my opinion is you didn't go wrong with Mitutoyo. They are priced reasonable and are very well built.
Good luck.
69 harley

hd76fxlr

Okay;maybe this will help someone else in my predicament.
I ended up buying all Mitutoyo devices.
0-1 inch #293-349 Micrometer
1-2 inch #293-331 Micrometer
1.4-2.4 inch 551-105 Bore Gage
I purchased all from MSC catalog.They were on sale;which saved me several $'s
These are for measuring Transmission main drive race;Main drive gear;and bearings.I am building an STD case with Andrews gears from scratch.I did alot of research and bought and returned several tools before keeping these.I have used them once and am very happy with results.These instruments are not the most expensive and definitely not the cheapest.I feel confident with them measuring in the .0001 range.Thanks for helping with this purchase.Charlie

hd76fxlr

2 pictures didn't post...trying again